Kyle Brockman
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius
Experience:  5 yrs. experience building, repairing, maintaining and configuring macs in a corporate environment.
33372540

I cant open various sights on the internet. This started

Customer Question

I can't open various sights on the internet. This started about a month ago and compn sights seem to be blocked
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kyle Brockman replied 6 years ago.
What web browser are you using to try and open these sites?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
safari version 4.1
Ok which version of Mac os x are you running?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09
SMC Version: 1.9f4
Try running software updates. There is a new version of safari out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
when I run software updates, there are no new updates available.
Can you check the os version for me. You can find this by going to the apple in th upper left hand side and click about this Mac. Also what web sites are not opening?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
mac os x version 10.4.11

sites not opening are sites such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson's_disease,
http://www.energysavers.gov/your_home/windows_doors_skylights/index.cfm/mytopic=13490,
http://www.fsisd.net/
These are just a few examples of sites that won't open.
Ok, delete the following file in your home folder, /Library/Preferences/com.apple.safari.plist If that doesn't work please re-download and reinstall safari 4.1 for tiger from the following website. http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1045
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can't find the file you suggested to delete. I did go to the website and re-downloaded safari 4.1. this did not seem to have any effect on the problem. can you tell me more specifically how to get to the file, /Library/Preferences/com.apple.safari.plist. Thank you for your patients
Sure no problem. In finder go up the the file menu, click on go, then click on home, once the home folder comes up go to the library folder, then the preferences folder and then you will find the com.apple.safari.plist. Move it to the trash then try opening safari.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I deleted the file you suggested, restarted the computer, problem is still there. Down loaded Safari 4.1 for tiger again, restarted computer again. No improvement in the situation.
Just to make sure you have also installed safari 4.1, not just downloaded it right?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, I downloaded and installed safari 4.1 and restarted computer as instructed. Thanks
Ok just wanted to make sure. Let's try some basic things one more time. Let's start with a safari reset. The file menu inside the file menu. Make sure all the items are checked and see if that works.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Went to file menu and reset safari. All items had a ck mark
Ok. Now can you delete everything in the following folder in your home folder. Library/caches Don't delete the folder. Just delete everything in it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
not sure what you are asking me to do. Do I go to home, then Library, and delete all under library?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There are about 65 files in this file.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There are about 65 files in this file.
this is under library, then under cashes.
Only delete the files that are in the cache folder. Do not delete anything else.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I deleted the files as you instructed. When I tried to empty trash I got the message, Can not delete file dftmplkaopeimkkkk----- is in use. does this tell you any thing?
That is fine. If you reboot it will unlock that file. Then you should be able to empty the trash.