Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis

my itunes does not recognize my new ipad...

my itunes does not recognize my new ipad when it is connected by USB, changed ports twice... I have a PC running on Vista for my itunes. iTunes does recognize my ipod.
What do I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name is Dan.

Customer:

Hi there. Just got my new Ipad

Daniel :

Do you have the current version of iTunes for Windows Vista?

Customer:

My itunes does NOT recognize it

Customer:

Yes. I have downloaded 9.2 today

Daniel :

Do you have any trouble opening iTunes?

Customer:

no

Customer:

synchs fine with my ipod...

Daniel :

Okay, this is what I suggest you do. Disconnect your iPod from your computer, close iTunes and then re-open iTunes. After it is up and running then plug in your iPad. Do that and let me know the results.

Customer:

doing it...

Daniel :

Standing by

Customer:

Nope. still doesn't recognize it

Customer:

made the little "chime" when I plugged it in...

Customer:

but doesn't show up..

Customer:

So now what?

Daniel :

I am thinking, and looking at my notes.

Customer:

okay, sorry...

Daniel :

no problem

Customer:

( i am far too exicited about this ipad...)

Customer:

Okay, now it says " ITunes could not connect to this iPhone because on unknown error occured ( 0xE800006B)

Daniel :

Okay, here's what I want to do. Shut the I tag completely off I holding down the top button and pushing the home button until the red slider appears. Then slide to off leave it for a few seconds and then power it back on by pushing down the top button.

This in effect resets it.

You may also want to restart your computer. Then try opening iTunes and then plugging in the iPad.

Let me know what happens please.

Customer:

Okay...

Daniel :

Standing by

Customer:

okay...it said to try restore

Customer:

so I did that...

Customer:

and it seems to be downloading something to the iPad

Customer:

BRB

Daniel :

Yes, that is normal. ITunes 9.2.2 was released after the iPad, and the iPhone OS 4.0 was released yesterday. So probably you are getting some updates. I'm also assuming by your last that iTunes and the iPad are now friends.

Customer:

Things are being restored...

Customer:

RATS! Closed both down. Restarted i Tunes and Ipad. Rehooked. Same error message came again...

Customer:

turned computer off and restarted it, restatrted itunes and ipad. Nope...

Customer:

still does not recognize the ipad...

Customer:

it seemed to recognize it after the first time I turned ipad off and on. Then restored it, it downloaded software and firmware. Now doesn't recognize it at all

Customer:

Help!

Customer:

I tunes isn't interacting with windows! That is what it says.

Customer:

anyone there??

Customer:

Helllloooooo...

Customer:

do I need to do something with windows?

Daniel : I am here, was only busy.
Customer:

SIGH>>>

Customer:

still NOT working

Daniel : What does it say?
Daniel : Can you hear me?
Customer:

said there was a problem with itunes interacting with windows

Customer:

Yes, I'm here

Customer:

thoughts?

Daniel :

Ok, then you need to uninstall iTunes and reinstall it. As per these instructions.

By removing iTunes you will not lose songs imported from CDs or as iTunes store purchases.

To remove iTunes do these in the following order.

1. Quit iTunes

2. From the start menu, click Control Panel.

3. In Control Panel, click Uninstall a program. The Programs and Features Control Panel opens.

Customer:

Okay...

Daniel :

Alternately, in classic panel of control panel click programs and features.

5. When asked if you would like to remove iTunes, click yes.

6. After the uninstallation is complete, do not restart your computer if you are prompted to.

7. If other program entries were listed for iTunes in programs and features remove those as well.

8. in programs and features, also remove any iPod updater application that are listed in the same fashion as you remove iTunes.

Daniel :

The next thing is QuickTime.

1. Quit QuickTime Player.

2. From the Start menu, click Control Panel.

3. In Control Panel, click Uninstall a program. The Programs and Features control panel opens.
    Alternately, in Classic Panel of Control Panel, click Programs and Features.

4. Select QuickTime from the list of currently installed programs, then click Uninstall.

5. When asked if you would like to remove QuickTime, click Yes.

7. If other program entries were listed for QuickTime Programs and Features remove those as well.

Daniel :

And then Apple software update.

1. Quit Apple Software Update.

4. Select Apple Software Update from the list of currently installed programs, then click Uninstall.

5. When asked if you would like to remove Apple Software Update, click Yes.

7. If other program entries were listed for Apple Software Update in Programs and Features remove those as well.

Customer:

okay

Daniel :

Now go to apple.com/iTunes, download and install. After you finish that let me know please.

Customer:

okay

Customer:

reinstalling itunes

Daniel :

I have my fingers crossed.

Customer:

Still no...

Customer:

(grrrrrrr)

Customer:

itunes comes up and then freezes

Customer:

doesn't recognize ipad

Customer:

says problem is AppHnag B1

Customer:

AppHangB1

Daniel :

Take a look at that website and see if any of it is useful, I can clarify points if you would like. I am not just going websites at you but I'm trying to get a good handle on the problem.

Customer:

Trying to get itunes itself to run without ipad. Just a sec..

Daniel :

Is that the error code that it told you?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

on the pulldown menu when Itunes froze

Customer:

in a box

Daniel :

On that website that I gave you are the complete instructions for completely removing all of the Apple software from your system and reinstalling it. I could type it all out but I think you will find it easier to follow on the site.

Customer:

Okay...

Customer:

thanks trying uninstalling again

Daniel :

This time for sure

Customer:

still uninstalling, went to apple site as recommended

Daniel : Doing good, keep on.
Daniel :

Make sure it is all uninstalled before proceeding.

Customer:

NOPE. Did it all over again and again got an error AppHangB1

Customer:

whatever that is...

Customer:

even found and got rid of bonjour

Customer:

also got rid of safari

Daniel :

I think you have an underlying problem that is causing this issue. So I am going to give you to a Windows 7 expert. I am not that expert. So please be patient because it may be a little while.

Customer:

Well, I checked AppHangB1

Customer:

what I found suggested malware, and to run antivirus

Customer:

so I did

Customer:

still no good

Customer:

(sigh)

Customer:

hard to know if this is IE, explorer.exe or apple

Customer:

now what?

Customer:

hello?

Daniel :

I have sent you to another expert.

Customer:

Hello?

Expert:  Omer Mushahwar replied 4 years ago.

Hi I am one of the other experts here on just answer.com

I see you are running Vista there are a few things we can try.

First please click here on this page is a link to a utility in windows that can remove programs as long as the windows installer has access to them.

Once you install this

Click Start > Click All Programs > Click on the program Windows Installer Cleaner Utility

You should the be given a list of programs this can remove please check all Apple programs that appear ie Quick Time, Mobile Device, Itunes

Once this has successfully removed

Go into Internet Explorer Go to Tools go to internet options Click Reset in the window that comes up hit reset again to reset your settings this should clear up the AppHang error.

Now once this is done do a reboot/restart your computer.

When the computer comes back up click start/windows icon on taskbar

Click Run

then in the command prompt type in : SFC /SCANNOW

there is a space after the SFC hit enter let it run through the verification process this can take some time

This Scan should check for errors in the windows file system.

After this scan is done and it fixes errors do another restart.

When the computer comes back up go download a fresh install from apples website and run the install

Please let me know if you have any questions

Experience: I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis