Jono, Apple Product Professional
Experience:  9 years of Apple Retail work and certification as an Apple Product Professional.

Hi, All of a sudden my audio on my mac book is not working.

Customer Question

All of a sudden my audio on my mac book is not working. The speaker icon has full sound wave visual. I went to system preferences, and the volume is turned up all the way. It was working fine Thursday, nothing different happened, then when I hit F5, I see that the volume is up all the way, but underneath volume loudness bar is a "no" sign - you know - the circle with the diagonal dash through like a no smoking sign sort of. Help? I'm going away, and need to skype with my laptop, what to do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jono replied 6 years ago.
Hello! Please turn on the computer and check on the right side of the laptop where the headphone jack is. There may be a red light shining from the headphone jack. This is a sign of a physical issue with the computer that is common with some MacBook models. Essentially, the computer thinks that an optical audio hookup is taking place, when it fact it is not. As a temporary solution, you should be able to plug computer speakers or headphones into the headphone jack and use those for audio.

As a permanent solution to the problem (and in order to restore full functionality to your computer speakers) you will need to have the headphone jack repaired by a technician.

If there is no red light, please let me know so that I may assist you further.
Jono, Apple Product Professional
Experience: 9 years of Apple Retail work and certification as an Apple Product Professional.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Actually, my headphone jack is on the left side along with the ports and other jacks. The only opening on the right side is the disk drive.

There is no red light coming from the jack.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So, any thoughts on that?
Expert:  Jono replied 6 years ago.
Hi! It could still be a hardware issue. You may want to check under the sound system preferences to see what output method is selected. It should be set to internal audio.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
A little bizarre that a mac person would tell me to check the jack on the right side of my macbook. Since when have macbooks had anything besides a disk drive on the right side. Does this guy really know anything about macs?
He then told me to choose "internal audio" under system preferences, but such a choice does not exist - at least on my laptop.
I'd just like an honest answer to my question.
Expert:  Alan_Ramos replied 6 years ago.
Hello Sir or Madam ,

My name isXXXXX - an Apple and PC computer expert. I think I might be able to help you.

I understand you see no red light in the audio port- you actually might not have the light depending on the version Macbook you have. If its a recent but pre-13" Macbook Pro then likely no light exists. (these are the matte white or black models)..

Glancing back at your SOUND preference pane you should see tabs that lead to input and output settings. There are also settings to change the tones used for alerts- you won't find what you want on this first tab. If you select the output option you will see a window that shows you what the computer 'thinks' is the active or chosen output device. It may say something along the lines of internal speakers selected or headphones. If it detects falsely that headphones are plugged in then the micro-switch that detects a plug-in to that jack might be dirty or faulty.

I have repaired these jacks in a few different ways, a dirty jack can be cleaned with a LIGHT squirt of tuner cleaner or even a swab that won't shed with a drop of isopropyl alcohol (power down first- and no battery needed). In the case of a faulty jack you will need the repair.

Have you tried plugging in a pair of 1/8in jacked speakers or headphones then raise and lower the volume to see if the sound comes back? If it does then it's a dirty connection (it happens). Please let me know if you see any changes with the plug-in or swab. I'd like to try and save you repair costs that aren't necessary.