Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis
37817776

iTunes will no longer sync my Outlook calendar or Contacts

iTunes will no longer sync my Outlook calendar or Contacts to iphone. It says "sync complete" but in fact does not sync either calendar or contacts. It used to work fine until a few weeks ago. I think that music is sync'ed.
I have tried removing & reinstalling the latest version of iTunes, clearing sync history, restoring my iPhone. I removed every program & file related to Apple or itunes, then reinstalled itunes. Nothing makes sync work.
This is using Windows XP, Outlook 2007.
It is possible that there is a bug in the latest version of itunes for Windows, I guess, but I'm really puzzled.
Thanks,
Frank
Category: Mac
Expert:  Omer Mushahwar replied 4 years ago.
Hi i am one of the experts on just answer.com

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3323?viewlocale=en_US

Follow the instructions in this link to solve syncing issues if its still acting up

try the steps in this link

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1692

The first link solved my sync issue and is the best one to start with.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, I tried all the things on these pages, but nothing seems to work. I also called Apple. They had me run some test, and we concluded that the problem is in Outlook, or the interface beween Outlook & iTunes, because we got sync to work on Windows address book, but not for Outlook contacts.
So, now I can sync to iphone by copying contacts to Windows address book, then sync. But I still cannot get my Outlook calendar to sync.
Thanks,
Frank
Frank

out of curiosity what version of Itunes are you running?

Edited by Omer Mushahwar on 6/16/2010 at 1:31 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Omer,
Latest version. I think it's 9.1.1
The problem may have started when I first updated to this version. Maybe something wrong with the Itunes Outlook add-in in 9.1.1??
Thanks,
Frank
yeah there have been a lot of issues with 9.1.1, ever since the update after 9.0.3 people have had issues syncing.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1419662.html

The link above is to a forum, this describes how one guy reverted back to 9.0.3 and even has a link to downloaded the older Itunes version so it will work with your phone again.

While it is a back step software wise it does seem to work for a lot of people and depending on how urgently you don't want to use the windows address book this could solve that issue.
Experience: I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Omer,
That is prpobably a wise move.
When I tried using 9.0.3, it would not run, because it said that some of the files had been created by a newer version of itunes, and could not be processed.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Frank
Hi Frank

Does it tell you one specific file name or does it just say files?

One person on that forum suggest
uninstalling all apple related protects ie apple updater, bonjour, mobile devices because the old versions reinstall when you install 9.03

Another person says if you get the message you did to do the following

Go into My Documents/My Music. Now go into the iTunes folder. Rename your iTunes Library.itl as iTunes Library.itl.old. Go into the Previous iTunes Libraries folder (which would be in MyDocuments\MyMusic\Previous iTunes Libraries). Take the newest file (for me this was iTunes Library 2006-09-14.itl) and copy it back up to the iTunes folder. Rename it iTunes Library.itl. Run iTunes 6 and you should be all set, with your library restored.

If none of these work let me know i have 1 other idea that might work for you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Omer,
Thanks for working through the steps.
I can now reach the point where itunes will recognize that it is syncing calendar, but it just get stuck forever, saying "syncing calendars". I'm using itunes 9.03 plus an old itunes library file. It an also reach the point of "syncing contacts", which is progress, but then gets stuck there, syncing forever.
Any other suggestions from this point?
tHANKS,
fRANK

Sometimes if the syncing is stuck you have to delete some files

Since you have windows XP go to the following folder

C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\SyncServices\Local

if you don't see application data folder when you in your username folder

go to tools > folder options> Click on view tab > Check the show hidden files and folders option and hit apply.

Also meant to add PLEASE DO THIS WITH ITUNES CLOSED
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Omer,
YES!
It worked!
Thank you.
Frank
Glad I could help Frank I will request this question be closed now ENJOY YOUR WORKING SYNCED CALENDAR AND CONTACTS Laughing

Edited by Omer Mushahwar on 6/16/2010 at 1:23 PM EST