Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

my mac pro just keeps logging me out

<p>My mac pro automatically logged me out when I was using Google Chrome this afternoon and it kept logging me out after I logged in with correct password. I've already tried to safely boot the computer but same thing happened and resetting PRAM didn't work either. It just logged me out as soon as the application bar appeared.</p>
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name is Dan.

Daniel :

Can you tell me what version of Mac OS X. you have on your Mac Pro? Which model year of the Mac Pro is it? I mean the processor speed and the amount of RAM inside?

Daniel :

And just so we are understanding each other can you tell me how you did the safe boot and the pram reset?

Daniel :

I ask that because many people tell me they have done that and they did not do it correctly, I am not saying that you didn't but I just want to make sure.

Customer :

Hi Dan,

Daniel :

Can you give me the information I requested?

Customer :

It's Mac Os 10.5.7 and how do I find out the processor speed and the amount of RAM?

Daniel :

You can look here.

Full Size Image
And hereWhere the Aeros point
Full Size Image

Daniel :

As you can see sometimes my typing is not all that great.

Customer :

I did the safe boot by holding Shift right after I pressed the power button before the grey screen and I did the pram rest by holding option, command, P and R together right after the power button.

Daniel :

You did that all correctly.

Daniel :

One thing you definitely need to do actually two things, the first one is to repair permissions.

Customer :

But I can not log in to see that, there is not enough time, or should I try again?

Customer :

ok, thanks.

Daniel :

Do you have your installation discs?

Customer :

yes

Daniel :

They are important for the next steps.

Daniel :

Insert your installation disk and reboot, hold down the 'C' key while doing so so that it boots from the DVD.

Daniel :

When you get to the welcome screen you will find at the top of the screen a toolbar or menu bar, click on Utilities and select Disk Utility.

Daniel :

Then do the following.

Full Size Image

Daniel :

Let me know when that finishes, both of them actually.

Customer :

do i insert the disk when the power is off?

Daniel :

You will probably have to power it up and hold down the ‘Option’ key, this opens the startup manager and will allow you to insert the disk. It should automatically come up as a bootable volume if not then click on the refresh button, that is the one on the left that has the circled arrow.

Daniel :

Or if it will power but not allow you to login then you could just insert the disk restart with the 'C' key.

Daniel :

How you doing?

Daniel :

I am logging off for the evening and will be back on the morrow. I will look for you then.

Customer :

Hi Dan, I thought you'll be on line yesterday. I finished getting the permission repair and disk repair, but it seemed that it still kepy logging me out. What should I do next?

Daniel :

The serial number is XXXXX the rear of the Mac (I think) it will be on a small sticker somewhere, That info is all I need to get the specs for the machine and that will help a lot in fixing it. I was on yesterday most of the day, that does not mean that we were able to communicate for whatever reason, sorry about that.

Customer :

that's ok let me check

Daniel :

OK

Customer :

you mean model number?

Customer :

i found a serial number on the box W89271F87XK

Customer :

is this what you want?

Daniel :

That's it.

Customer :

ok

Daniel :

There is a firmware update for that MBP HERE, you may or may not have done that with Software update. First we have to get it running.

Daniel :

Does that have a removable battery? It was about that time that the models had non-remeovable batteries in them.

Daniel :

Non-removeable.

Daniel :

Try this.

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

5. Press the power button to turn on the computer. Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter does not change states or temporarily turn-off when you reset the SMC.

Customer :

ok

Customer :

done it's on

Customer :

i'm at the log in page now

Customer :

so what's next?

Daniel :

Login and see what happens, do not use Chrome.

Customer :

it logged me out again

Daniel :

I think that it is time for an Archive and install preserving user data and network settings,

Customer :

ok

Daniel :

You do have the instal disc, correct?

Customer :

yes it's still in the computer

Daniel :

OK, are you still using the iPhone?

Customer :

no i've never had one

Daniel :

Sorry, I was helping a person that was using an iPhone because their computer was down, made comunicating difficult.

Customer :

ok

Daniel :

What are you using right now? As a computer?

Customer :

a PC

Daniel :

OK. Then this link will give you a PDF explaining how to do this, click here, I suggest printing it out for easy use.

Daniel :

My other idea won't work as PCs and Macs won't do it.

Daniel :

If you have replied, please send it again because I cannot see it.

Customer :

don't know what just happened. I chose '1 partition', 'Mac OS X Extended' and 'GUID partition table', then I clicked on 'Apply'. It asked me if I want to continue even if it's gonna erase my old disk, I thought I still got my chance to save everything so I clicked on 'OK', then it starts to making GUID mapping or whatever. The next thing I know is that the volume that used to have my name on is gone, instead there is a new volume named 'Untitled'. Did I just erase all my datas? Would you please reply as soon as possible? I still have to go to school today.

Daniel :

Yes, you did. Everything you had on that drive is now toast.

Customer :

so what do i do now?

Daniel :

There is an option that has a slim chance of recovering was on your drive, actually there are two. One is Data Rescue, and the other is having a professional data rescue service work on it.

Daniel :

There is nothing else to be done.

Customer :

can i first fix my problem of getting logged in and then rescue the datas?

Daniel :

I'm pretty sure that that problem is fixed. What you have now is a brand-new machine, you two have never met. As far as logging and now and then doing the data rescue, that is not a good idea if you want to recover anything off of that drive.

Daniel :

The more you write to that drive the less chance you have of getting anything back.

Daniel :

As I said, you have a very slim chance of recovering your data, and it will not be a very quick process.

Customer :

i guess i can live with that. i got part of my files in another flash drive.

Customer :

so if i chose not to rescue my datas, do i go on try to log in?

Customer :

ok

Customer :

but i never finished what's on the PDF file

Daniel :

This is a very good reason why I say to use something like Time Machine or CarbonCopyCloner to back up your data so that when something like this does happen you can recover.

Customer :

i don't think i've installed anything

Customer :

ok

Daniel :

That's why you got into this mess.

Daniel :

There is no finishing the PDF.

Customer :

it didn't say that i need to close the window of 'Disk Utility' and go on with the installation

Customer :

now it's installing

Daniel :

Okay, I see you have to go ahead and install the operating system now. What you have is a blank drive, with nothing on it. You want to quit Disk Utility and that would take you back to the installer. Go ahead and do that.

Customer :

ok

Daniel :

Keep me posted.

Customer :

it's just frustrating

Customer :

why do you think it happend in the first place? the log in problem?

Customer :

Daniel :

I think it had something to do with Google Chrome. Something got corrupted and now we will never know what it was. How is the installation coming?

Customer :

still checking the consistency of the DVD

Customer :

the installation hasn'e started yet

Customer :

sorry i need to go. my boss needs me back in lab

Daniel :

Okay, usually if you know the disc is good you stop that process and let it start installing.

Daniel :

Keep me posted please.

Customer :

Hi Dan

Customer :

I finished installing my system and it's brand new now and I'm reinstalling everything else. Thank you for your help.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.