Kyle Brockman
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius
Experience:  5 yrs. experience building, repairing, maintaining and configuring macs in a corporate environment.

Windows7 Parallels not seeing AirPort devices, tho Mac OK

Can anyone help, pls?

Running OSX on MBP with Windows 7 in Parallels 5.

AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express are both fine via Mac. However, Windows 7's AirPort Utility can see neither. I have accessed AEBS from W7 once by manually entering its IP address but it all fell apart when I clicked "update" in W7.

Ultimate aim is to print, stream music, access external HD via AirPort devices, all of which can be done from Mac side.

Tried already:
(1) ensured security protocols (WPA / WPA2 Personal) the same in both AirPort Utilities,
(2) disabled Kaspersky in W7,
(3) opened W7's ports TCP 3689 & UDP 5353 which were Apple Support's only ideas.

Anyone here got any other helpful hints, pls?

This is at the limit of my technical knowledge so pls don't make it too complicated! :-)

I would be glad to try and help you with this. I just need some more information. What are you trying to do? Access the internet on windows 7 or what?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
From above: AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express both fine via Mac. However, Windows 7 (Parallels) can see neither.

I want to access the Airport devices from Windows. Express to print and AEBS to access hard drive.

Many thx

Ok, I understand what your trying to do, have you installed bonjour for windows on your window 7 machine? It's on the disk that came with the airports.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes. All latest stuff.

You install bonjour for windows?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think so. Control Panel (uninstall panel) in W7 is showing both Bonjour and Bonjour Print Services.
The Start Menu, however, shows Bonjour Print Services only. Also, W7 can see the printer @MBP but print instructions never seem to arrive there. I have to do all my printing from the Mac side (unless using Ethernet cable).
I can try installing Bonjour again and see what happens.
Thanks so far.
There looks to be a newer version on apple's web site. Try downloading from the web site and see if it's working then.
Did you have any luck with this?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No luck, I'm afraid. Downloaded, installed, rebooted several times, but AirPort utlity is still not seeing any of the devices.

One positive devleopment, though, is that Windows can now print to the printer @Mac (though still not directly via Bonjour).

Thanks for your help but I'm wondering if there are any more steps to try?

Mnay thanks!
Do you have the windows firewall on or off? Also can you connect to your Airports using the mac airport utility?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Windows Firewall is off (but inany case BOnour & AirPort are set up as exveptions there)
Kaspersky is off
On the Mac side, I could earlier see 3 AirPort devices, now can see only 2 (ie those which are in this room and configured correctly.)

Ok, how do you have the nic setup in Parallels? Do you have shared or bridge?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm not sure what nic means but, assuming it's about networking, the anser is shared. As set up by the Apple Store. See image at link pasted here for more info in case it's needed.

Ok, try changing that to bridged networking, and select automatic in there.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Aargh... last time that happened it caused other problems and the Apple Store changed it to Shared.

Anyway, I'll give it a try and report back.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
"Automatic" is not available in teh submenu for Bridged. Here are the options:

Default Adapter

Pls advise
Use the Default Adapter.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK. Good start.

AirPort utility now sees both airport devices via Windows as well as via Mac.

Printer works via Airport Express. FANTASTIC. Thank you! Sealed I can stream music via airport express.

Airport utility can see the Airport extreme, but windows explorer cannot see the hard drive which is attahced to the airport extreme. Undecided

Are you able t help with this final point?

Glad to hear it's working. Can you access the drive from the mac?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, thank you . That's a biggie sorted.

Re drive from Mac, no. The Apple Store Genius told me that was because the drive is in a windows format and I need to reformat or partition it before I can access it via the Mac.So need to access it via Windows first.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hey let me know what you think. If you think we can get the hard drive thing sorted too, I will add 50% to the award.

Will wait to hear.

Many thx so far.
If you have any data on that drive it would be best to back it up quick. Then reformat it on the mac to HFS+. Then you can share it from your airport. Your mac and PC will then have access to it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, thx. I will try that and report back. Not something I can do instantly.

Is HFS+ the best? Can Time Machine write to HFS+?

Was planning to create 2 partitions on HD: 1 for TIme Machine, other for Windows.

Are you suggesting I reformat entire drive as HFS+ instead? SO both MAc and Windows can read / write to this drive? Does that prohibit time from using the drive for Time Machine?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sorry for delay getting back to you. I note jopb is showing as "finished" above - have you marked it as closed?

More problems today in that Windows not printing via AirPort Express again and I don't know how to fix it. Have not had chance to back up hard drive yet.

I have topped up the account with the additional amount as promised. Do you have any thoughts pls about why no printing? And if you could answer question above re TIme Machine, I will be happy to sign off.

Many thanks
Sorry I haven't been able to get back to you sooner. Time machine can write to HFS+. Not sure what is happening with not being able to print from windows. I have you tried rebooting it?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK - many thanks for confirming about HFS+.

I'm not sure about the printing, either, but at least WIndows can see both AirPort devices now.

Let's leave it there as this has been going on for a while now and the original problem did get solved.

Thanks again!