Kyle Brockman
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius
Experience:  5 yrs. experience building, repairing, maintaining and configuring macs in a corporate environment.
33372540

I forgot my admin name and password and it is locked so I can

I forgot my admin name and password XXXXX it is locked so I can not unlock anything in preferences
Do you have the restore cds that came with the computer?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The only disks I have are the 3 disks for OS X 10.3 and the Mac OS X Xcode Tools. Currently I using OS X 10.4.11. I have no disks for this version.
Restart the machine, after you hear the chime, hold the command and S keys. This will take you into a terminal mode. You will need to enter the following commands. mount -uw / rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone shutdown -h now After you have done this the computer will power off. Turn it back on and you will then run through the first setup again. Make a new user account. You should then be able to login with the new account. You can then reset the password XXXXX your old account using the new account in system preferences.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry, but this is not working for me. I have tried several times and nothing happens except a string of command words. Customer
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I followed your instructions but when I enter the command string and hit return nothing happens. I think I followed the spacing correctly and I tried again this evening and still the computer does not shutdown. What am I doing wrong?
I'm at work right now. I will be able to help you out better with this in a few hours. Looks like it didn't keep my returns. There is three commands there. First one is mount -uw /

second one is rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

and the third one is shutdown -h now
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I appreciate your willingness to help and I am sorry that I assumed that the commands you provided would not work for me. I have double checked the spacing again and it still won't shutdown. If there is an additional charge, I am willing to pay it. My main concern is that I can not do any updates or change preferences. I will be off of my computer until tonight.
John,

The machine shouldn't shutdown it should reboot after, then go into the setup. Like when you go the machine the first time.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, it finally worked as you described. Thanks very much.
Glad to hear it's working.