Kyle Brockman
Kyle Brockman, Mac Genius
Experience:  5 yrs. experience building, repairing, maintaining and configuring macs in a corporate environment.
33372540

I purchased a western digital My Passport/ essential external

Customer Question

I purchased a western digital My Passport/ essential external hard drive from staples.
I am running parallels for windows on my Macbook my concern is it says I need to reformat it but I lose the instruction about the hard drive if I do that. What should I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kyle Brockman replied 6 years ago.
If you want to keep the drive instruction it would be best to copy them to your desktop before you reformat your drive.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am a student also I purchased the external hard drive for my school work which the school uses microsoft office so I have to have windows on my mac, but if i transfer from macbook which i do not have a desktop just the laptop mac will it transfer all from mac and windows?
If your using a windows on your mac with parallels or VMware, you will need to make sure that it's sharing folders, between the windows and mac machines. Then when you drag the files from the mac to the external drive it will be the same files that are shared with the PC.