Travis
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
Experience:  19+ Years of Mac Experience, BSA in Design and 6 Years of Mac Training from University of Cincinnati
22842276

I bought an extra small wired keyboard for my new white apple

Customer Question

I bought an extra small wired keyboard for my new white apple laptop in March 2010 .
The keyboard has stopped working with this laptop but works with my old iMac.
An old keyboard works ok with the laptop. I've tried to shut down and start again but this hasn't helped.

i had no bother for 2 months - this suddenly happened .
model A 1242
Category: Mac
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
Aluminum keyboard works on the imac but will not work on the laptop?

Old keyboard does work on the laptop though?

Are both keyboards USB? Have you tried more than one USB port on the laptop?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i've tried both usb ports on laptop

both keyboards are usb

aluminium keyboard was working ok on both imac and laptop and now only on imac
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
Now neither keyboard works on the laptop? In either port?

Let's try the following first (use your laptop's built in keyboard, not a USB keyboard):

First let's reset the PRAM on the computer.
1) Disconnect all USB devices and shut down the computer.
2) While the computer is shut down, locate these keys: command (has an apple on it), option (sometimes called alt), P, and R.
3) Turn the computer on, then press and hold Command-Option-P-R before the gray screen appears.
4) Hold these keys down until you hear the startup sound a total of 3 times.
5) Release the keys.

Next, let's try a Safe Boot. This will perform several clean up procedures that may be affecting the machine's performance and startup.
1) Shut down your computer completely.
2) Start up the computer and immediately after the startup chime, press and hold the Shift key
3) Once the gray Apple and progress indicator appear, release the Shift key
4) Note: Startup will likely take substantially longer than normal (20 - 30 minutes is not unheard of)
5) In Mac OS 10.4 or later, you will have to login to your account, even if it normally does so automatically.
6) Shut down the computer.
7) Restart and try the keyboards now.

Let me know the results.

Edited by Travis on 6/2/2010 at 2:26 PM EST
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
Experience: 19+ Years of Mac Experience, BSA in Design and 6 Years of Mac Training from University of Cincinnati
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the old keyboard does work still in the laptop - I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear enough - thanks
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
I saw that you accepted, but you had concerns in your feedback.

No problem and I completely understand. Please be aware though, just because you accepted my answer already, I'll still be here to help. This thread should stay open for about a week.

My only point of concern is, if the keyboard works on the old laptop but not the new laptop, it may be an issue with the laptop not the keyboard. Exchange the keyboard first. If that doesn't fix it, let me know and we'll dig deeper.

Good Luck!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks again Gill
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
no problem!