Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

my mac book pro has a mousepad that isnt working (the left

Customer Question

my mac book pro has a mousepad that isn't working (the left click function essentially) Any ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name is Dan.

Daniel :

Usually, resetting the PRAM will do the trick.

Daniel :

Restart then press and hold these 4 keys down, 'Option', 'Command(Apple)', 'R' and 'P' keys, keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes then let go.

This resets all of the system busses, USB, Optical drive, Firewire, display etc.

Daniel :

As I said, usually this will do the trick. That said, it doesn't always do the trick.

Daniel :

Let me know your results.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

Your expert is gathering additional information and will be back with you shortly.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
I changed this from Chat to standard question-and-answer because we are having issues with Chat at this time.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Please try the instructions above and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Daniel,

Thanks for taking the time. I have tried the reset with the four startup chimes and it hasn't fixed the problem. Any other thoughts?

Heber
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
The next thing is called resetting the SMC (system management controller), this may have no effect either. It is entirely possible that you have a hardware issue that none of these things is going to fix. Just so you are aware of that.
To reset the SMC first shut the computer completely off.
Disconnect the power adapter and remove the battery.
Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
Release the power button and install the battery and connect the power adapter.
Now start the machine up.
This is assuming that your MacBook Pro has a removable battery.
Let me know if that helps.