Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I got a replacement ipod for my son. I have syncd up all the

Customer Question

I got a replacement ipod for my son. I have sync'd up all the apps, and am trying to restore the data from a previous backup. The restore has been going on for about 5 hours now and says it still has 3 hours to go. The windows task manager does show cpu usage on appleMobileBackup.exe so I think it's working. How long do I leave it running? <br /> <br />This is not the first time I've tried it, I ended up canceling the previous attempts and not all apps data was transferred. <br /> <br />I'm going to bed, I will leave it running overnight. I would like to know what to do if the restore is not done when I check in the morning.<br /><br />ETA: OK when I got up this morning it said 5 hrs left. So I pulled the plug and rebooted the pc and the ipod and started it in recovery mode. Restore progress barmoves along to about 60% mark, then says said 33 minutes remaining, now almost 2 hours later it still says about an hour and no progress on the progress bar. I'm beginning to think this backup folder is bad or something. PLEASE HELP!!!!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name is Dan.

Daniel :

There could be several things wrong or only one, and we could chase around for a long time.

Daniel :

However, if you are anywhere close to an Apple store then I suggest, and this is my best advice, taking your PC and your iPod to the Apple store genius bar.

Daniel :

The reason I suggest this, unless you bought a used iPod that is not under warranty, is they are better equipped to sort this out much quicker than what we can long distance like this.

Daniel :

Please let me know what you think.

Customer:
I'm sorry, that will be my last resort. I disconnected the ipod and started it in recovery mode and did a fresh restore from backup. It's been going since 6am, but it says 9 minutes left instead of 5 hours, so I'm hopeful that will solve the problem. If that doesn't work then I will bring call the apple store.
Daniel :

Did you buy the iPod new?

Daniel :

It might make it. It shouldn't have taken that long though, that is excessive.

Customer:

the ipod was a replacement that i picked up at the Apple store. THe original had a problem with the off button. they gave me a new one under warranty. I backed up the old one before we took it to the apple store to replace it with the new one.

Customer:

The restore from recovery mode says 6 minutes left. half an hour ago it said 9 minutes left. It's making progress which is encouraging because the previous restore was just stuck, but it's going very slowly. At this rate it will be another half hour to 45 minutes before it's done, I hope.

Customer:

I have another question. Since i did the restore from recovery mode, will I have to resync all the apps again, or should the restore replace all the apps?

Daniel :

The restore should put things back like they were, at least that has been my experience.

Daniel :

For it to take this long is not normal, it should take no more than 1 hour, tops.

Customer:

hi, I just spent time on the phone with apple, I'm covered under warranty so they are providing me with support. Please close this case and refund the paypal, as they are supporting this now.

Customer:

Sorry

Daniel :

I would think that there is 1, a problem with the new iPod, 2 a problem with your iTunes, 3 a problem with the backup.Apple - Support - iTunes

Daniel :

That Apple site will help with trouble shooting iTunes/iPod issues.

Customer:

thye have me reinstalling itunes, they also gave me an article if the backup is bad. The backup finally did complete 5-1/2 hours later.

Daniel :

Now I do recommend reinstalling iTunes, as per the instructions from Apple.

Daniel :

You might also want to run any maintenance utilities that you have for your Windows machine, it may be that you have some components that are not playing nice with each other.

Daniel :

Make certain that you have your entire music library backed up before you reinstall iTunes. I know how it works on the Mac and if you are using a Mac I would have no problem telling you to go ahead. Windows on the other hand does things differently, so please make sure that you have your music library saved to an external source.