robgranholm
robgranholm, Mac Genius
Experience:  2 Years at Apple, Current IT Administrator and Small Business Owner. Loves to help.

my home desktop has internet, but the laptop isnt picking up

Customer Question

my home desktop has internet, but the laptop isnt picking up the wireless signal. i can see the correct network name, and it has full coverage/service, but when i click on it, it has an exclamation point instead of the coverage bars. please help. MY LAPTOP IS A MAC, uses mac OSX. please help
Category: Mac
Expert:  adamlowrance replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Adam Lowrance :

Hello, do you have one network you are trying to connect to or multiple ones?

Customer: just one netword
Customer: network*
Customer: it was working last night just fine
Adam Lowrance :

Windows 7 or Vista?

Customer: the computer with the wireless signal is a mac and the desktop uses windows xp
Adam Lowrance :

Ok, your question is in the networking category but I am not familiar with Mac OSX. I am going to opt out and suggest it be moved into the Mac category so you will get somebody familiar with Macs

Customer: if this happens in the future, and the desktop has internet but the laptop just shows an exclamation point where the signal should be, is there something i can do myself
Customer: do i have to pay again?
Adam Lowrance :

No, you will not have to pay again. What you actually paid was a deposit which is refundable if you do not get a satisfactory answer.

Customer: i appreciate that, is there a buddy of yours that knows macs?
Adam Lowrance :

I am going to assume it is a setting within the computer, if it was windows I could guide you bu I am just not familiar with macs.

Customer: you should learn about macs, they are the best thing on this planet....unless you're having wireless trouble
Customer: hahahah
Adam Lowrance :

I do not know if one is online. I will get it moved and if a mac expert is online they will see it quickly.

Adam Lowrance :

lol

Customer: ok, should i wait around at the desktop?
Adam Lowrance :

yes i would give it a few minutes

Customer: will i get another text when a mac expert is here?
Adam Lowrance :

most experts do not have the chat feature activated yet. it is still in a trial basis. so most likely you will get a response back to your question in the regular way. so just check your question every few minutes

Adam Lowrance :

you should also get an email when somebody responds

Customer: ok
Customer: alright cool
Customer: thanks for your help, adam
Customer: my name is XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: sweet baby jesus
Adam Lowrance :

ok i am going to exit and try to get you transfered. no problem lol

Customer: anyone there?
Customer: hello?
Customer: i haven't gotten any help yet
Customer: anyone out there?
Chat Conversation Ended

Your expert is gathering additional information and will be back with you shortly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
im using a macbook laptop and the wireless signal has full bars but wont let me connect to the network. the desktop computer has internet that works fine, i just cant connect the laptop wirelessly
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH A MAC LAPTOP?!?!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
i have a mac, and the guy that "helped" me, didn't know anything about macs. so im here, still stuck, still with no wireless internet
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hello? does anyone know about mac computers?
Expert:  robgranholm replied 4 years ago.
Yes i do and can help you. I need to know what operating system you are running. The exclamation point usually means that you are able to connect to your router, but your router is not giving the Mac an active connection to the web, it's just giving it a connection to the router. Often times, changing the security on the router, or taking it off temporarily and making it an open network will solve this issue. Let me know if that solves it. If not, I'll be glad to work with you on this until we get thigns resolved.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the mac version im using is Mac OSX 10.6.3. i dont know how to change the security on the router or make it an open network, can walk me through the steps? is that done from the home PC or from the mac itself?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i just got a text saying my last question was answered but i dont see any answers. can you please email me the step by step instructions for adjusting the router security settings?
Sorry, not sure how the answer request came through, not my intention! Lets solve the problem first right?! Sorry about that. Okay, I can give you step by step instructions, but fist I need to know the exact model of the router. I scanned above and didn't see it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it says Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router, WPN824, serial number:1PT2875K06FD6
Great. Thanks. Here's the isntructions.

Connect to the WPN802 by opening your browser and entering http://192.168.0.231 in the address field.
2. When prompted, enter "admin" for the user name and "password" for the password, both in lower case letters. Without the quotes. The Settings page opens.

3. On the Settings page, click Wireless Settings. The Wireless Settings menu appears. You should be able to change the wireless settings and take off the security from here, you can also change the wireless networks name. Try these make sure to save the settings on the router and reboot the Mac. Report back here and let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i tried that address 3 times, twice with the "http://" in front of it, and then once with just the numbers, doesnt get me anywhere, says it cant find that page
So sorry, I misread the numbers, that's for the wrong router! New instructions coming.
The new address is http://192.168.1.1 .... you should still see wireless settings on the left, click that to see the configurations. Now there is a CHANCE that the username and password XXXXX't work if whoever originally set up your router changed them. just an FYI
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey robert I'm driving to work now. I have the user name and password XXXXX previoud calls. Ill have to try this later today when I'm honme. In the meantime, once I get to that page, then can u tell me what steps to follow to change the settings? Or does the past couple emails from u have enough info to commplete the process? And once I change the securtiy settings, and the wirless works, should I b able to change them back? And if problem happens in future, should I do the same steps? Thanks for ur help thus far
No prob, glad to help. We're still in troubleshooting mode so I can't really answer those questions. There should be a clear indication on that page to turn OFF the wireless security. We will be able to turn it back on, but I don't know if that will solve the issue just yet, I'm just trying to eliminate potential issues. The router isn't giving the Mac a connection to to the internet for one reason or another...I haven't deduced why yet...so it's still a matter of vague testing. Sorry I cant be more clear.