Tom
Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college
15873684

How do I install a seagate 1T expansion drive on my map PowerBook

How do I install a seagate 1T expansion drive on my map PowerBook Mac OSX?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

What OS are you running? ie. 10.4.11 or 10.5.6

If you click on the Apple icon in the top left and choose about this mac. It will tell you the version number.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mac OS X 10.5.6
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Last question. Is this a new drive or do you have data on it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is a brand new drive
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Click on the picture of a face all the way on the left-hand side of your dock.
Click on Finder in the top left and choose Preferences
Click on General
For Show items on Desktop, Make sure External Disks is checked.
Check the desktop to see if your disk appeared.

If not you will need to format it.

This will will completely erase the drive!

Click Go all the way at the Top and Choose Utilities
Open Disk Utility
Click on your Seagate hard drive and at the bottom under format it needs to say Mac OS extended.

Click on the erase tab and choose Mac OS extended and Erase
Tom, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 8 years experience as a Mac administrator for a college
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The drive is not mounting at all. When I use Disk Utility, there is no drive to erase. When I with disk utility it want my .mac password XXXXX user name. When I put these in it's saying it's not the right password XXXXX user name. I have tried countless combinations and nothing is working.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Click on the Apple in the top left and choose system preferences

Click on Accounts

Under your account name does it say Admin?

Can you unlock the padlock in the bottom left of this screen?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
For some unknown reason, I was able to erase the disk without having to enter that password...the drive seems to be working suddenly and is backing up the drive, so it's working. When I choose preferences now the time machine is backing up my data so I guess it's working for now. I think I just need to wait now and let the drive do it's thing. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
great glad its working now and thanks for the accept