Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years repairing macs and ipods and 3rd level tech support
28647879

ive just installed i life 09, i photo worked okay initially,

Customer Question

i've just installed i life 09, i photo worked okay initially, about an hour ago, but after restarting i'm getting a window when I try to open i photo that says "You can’t open your current photo library using this version of iPhoto. You can’t open your current photo library using this version of iPhoto."

i've restarted but still the same happens, any suggestions
Category: Mac
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 6 years ago.
hello there! I would love to help. Some how your iphoto library got corrupt. First go to the photo folder then drag the iphoto library to the desktop. Then we will need to make a new library.To make a new library close iphoto if open and hold the option button then click on iphoto if done correctly you will be asked to create a new library click ok. Once created iphoto should open.If this works let me know by accepting my answer thanks!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK Johnny I tried that. A bit of background, to start I had a small problem with my i photo libaray running i photo 6, a few of my images were appearing as thumbnails but unable to open, then it progressed to a few thumbnails appearing as " ?", so I was advised to upgrade to i photo 9, which I have just done ( to do this I also had to upgrade from OS10.4 to OS10.6). I did this yesterday, for a few hours everything was fine i photo 9 seemed to be working great,my library transferred over to i photo 9, though I still had a few images with "?".
Prior to upgrading I had tried to recreate my library by dragging the icon onto the desktop, unsucessfully I might add, however this icon was sitting on my desktop.

The trouble began after restarting after what I thought was a successful installation of i photo 9, thats when the window appeared "You can’t open your current photo library using this version of iPhoto. You can’t open your current photo library using this version of iPhoto."
The i photo icon in my toolbar has now disappeared, the i photo icon on my desktop is still there, I carried out the procedure you advised, it has created a new folder,but none of the files are over 4KB, and when it opens i photo it's blank, there are no images downloaded, also the i photo that is being opened is i photo 6, I've just discovered !!??
Its possible that the last iphoto and ilife apps didnt delete. What we can do is make sure to go to your applications folder and check to see if there is two iphoto applications.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes there are 2 i photo applications
Ok then we need to open the each of them sand see which one does not give you the error. Then delete the other app from the folder as well as from the dock. Then you can drag the iphoto that works to the dock.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK Johnny thanks for that, I've done that, Ive dragged the oldversion to the trash, the working version i photo 9 is now in the dock, but it doesnt contain the photo library, any ideas where it may be ?
Yes that is the file we dragged to the desktop. So what we have to do now is drag it back to the pictures folder. Make sure iphoto is closed while doing this. If finders asks to overwrite just click yes. Then open iphoto and your library should be back. Let me know if this works by accepting my answer Thanks!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for getting back to me, I 've sorted of solved the problem, but I've still got my original problem, which was that some of my thumbnails are blank, and when opened they have an exclamation mark !

This wasnt the quey I originally pitched I would appreciate some advice, but I'll also accept the answer above so that you get paid,
No worries! What those exclamation points mean is that iphoto cant find those pictures. What you can do is go back to that iphoto library file in your pictures folder right click ( or control+click) and select show package contents. This will show the folder inside your iphoto library. Go ahead and drag/drop modified and the originals folder to your iphoto library. If that doesnt work then your photos are either in another location (very unlikely) or have become corrupt. If the latter is the case you can get a program called Disk warrior that can recover corrupted files.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK Johnny, tried that and didnt work, I'll check out disk warrior thanks
sounds good let me know if u need any other help.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK