Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
12024030

Ok I was putting in my DVD and when the player shows up and

Ok I was putting in my DVD and when the player shows up and when I click on the episode I want to watch it takes a long time to upload and then later it starts saying there's dust or scratches but last I check there were any and then it shut itself off. I mean the others seem to work fine except for a couple DVD, what's wrong with them
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

Try using a different program to view the DVD as a test. Please download and install VLC player from the site below. After it is copied over, run it and use File > Open Disc and choose your DVD. See if you can reproduce the issues within VLC.

http://www.videolan.org

Let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,
Brandon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well I download it but now the VLC is saying that it won't work with my version of mac, mine is a 10.4.11 and so what am I to do, should I go have my laptop be taken in for a look and see if something's wrong?
You downloaded the one for 10.5, thats all. Go to this page and scroll down until you see the version for 10.4. Download that one.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

This is just a test to see if it's software or hardware. If you are able to reproduce the problem with VLC, it's a hardware issue and would recommend that you have your laptop looked at by Apple or an Authorized Service Center. If you are not able to reproduce the problem, then it's the DVD Player app that is the problem and you can either continue to use VLC or reinstall your system to replace the DVD Player app.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
Brandon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks I download the version and I think you might be right about the DVD player app being the prob, but how do I reinstall my system and replace it, was it on the CD pack it came with, I don't remember, is there a sight to look for it.
You'll need the discs that either came with the system or you purchased to upgrade with. What we will do is called "Archive and Install." It will replace only system files and applications but will not touch any user-installed applications or any of your data. Do you have your original Mac OS X discs or 10.4 discs?

Let me know.

Best Regards,
Brandon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do I have to install both disc because I have two and I guess take this steps with me one at a time, I'm kinda slow at this stuff.
For this to work properly, please follow my instructions very carefully.

1. Start up from your Mac OS X Install Disc 1 or Install DVD. If you have different versions of Mac OS X Installer discs (for example, if your computer came with version 10.3 and you later purchased and installed version 10.4), start from the disc that most closely matches the installed Mac OS X version. Usually, that's the latest (newer) version.

Usually, you can start from the disc by putting it in your computer, restarting, and holding the C key.
  2. Select your language. The Welcome to the Mac OS X Installer window appears.
  3. Click Continue. The Important Information window appears.
  4. After reading or printing the information, click Continue. The Software License Agreement window appears.
  5. After reading or printing the information, click Continue.
  6. An agreement sheet appears. If you agree with the license agreement, click Agree. The Select a Destination window appears.
  7. Click the volume that you wish to install to.
  8. Click Options. The installation options sheet appears.
  9. Select Archive and Install.
  10. Select the volume which already has Mac OS X installed.
  11. You should also select Preserve Users and Network Settings, to preserve network and Home directory settings.
  12. Click OK.
  13. Click Continue to begin the installation.

After the installation is complete and the computer restarts, please immediately use the Apple menu, choose Software Update and install any available updates. This will make sure you are protected from any vulnerabilities in the base system install. After you have run all available updates (you may need to run it more than once), try to reproduce the problem with the DVD Player app.

Let me know how this goes!

Best Regards,
Brandon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok I reinstalled it but now my mac is saying it's a 10.4.8, how did it downgrade itself, what did I do wrong?!
You need to run Software Update from the Apple menu to update yourself to the latest version (10.4.11, I believe).
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm