Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Have a 5 year old mac g5 running Leopard. Will not boot up. No chimes light on machi

Have a 5 year old mac g5 running Leopard.
Will not boot up. No chimes light on machine blinks three times. Told that it was bad ram memory. Have since replaced all memory simms with new ones. But still get same blinking message. Have reset pram and tried to start up from cd. Nada machine just keep blinking.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
What model Mac? Disconnect the internal drive and try to boot from the DVD.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is a power mac g 5 not sure of the model as I can't get to the profile but does not have intel processor installed.
I have two internal hard drives, the original and a 1 Terra bite drive that I installed about a year ago.
I disconnected them both and tried to start up from the leopard dvd. NO change. Still just get three blinks pause, three blinks of power light.
ALSO if I leave the machine on for a couple of minutes the fans begin to rev up and get's very noisy.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Also try this:

Restart again:

To access Open Firmware press and hold Command-Option -O-F

At the Open Firmware prompt, type: reset-nvram

Press Return.

At the Open Firmware prompt, type: reset-all
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No change. power light just blinks in same pattern
nothing on screen
more info on computer
2 ghz dp 512 mb 400/160G/sd/gs200/56k/pci-x

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Not sure of model but there are some little gray reset push pins on the motherboard you might try. So you replaced the memory and you only have 512 MB, that is really not enough for Leopard but it should still startup. You might also try taking out the video card, do you have a spare to see if it is the culprit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I actually have 4 gigs of ram installed at this point.
(I had 6 gigs when this problem started. Removed all of those simms and bought new ram that is now installed)
No spare video card. Not sure where it is located.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
OK the video would be a PCI card. Did you find the reset button (s)?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I have pushed the pmu reset several times.
I have tried resetting the Pram with the computer keys.
I have replaced the internal battery.
I have been getting the same result (the blinking lights and blank screen) for several days now.

BTW the info I sent you on the computer came from inside the case of the computer. The ram was upgraded over a year ago. I also added a second hard drive about 6 months ago. And it has been working fine.
As I said I have replaced the entire ram since the problem started.
Any suggestions?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Are all the SIMS the same capacity?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes the simms are 1 gig each
They are two matching sets, two gig in each kit.
I have tried the unit with just 2 of the sims, 4 of the sims and I have tried switching them around.
The ones I have are the same type that worked in the machine for several years.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Well all I can say is there must be something wrong with the motherboard.Did you blow out the dust before you seated the SIMMS?

Edited by Mike the MacMedic on 6/1/2010 at 11:13 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there anyway to check on the motherboard?
Can it be replaced?
Is it a difficult project?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Can’t check it unless you can boot but of course Apple could. Not difficult but not knowing the exact model probably not worth the expense but since you have already spent some money....

Edited by Mike the MacMedic on 6/1/2010 at 11:20 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well thanks for your help. I'll have to think about what to do next.
New computer is probably the best bet considering the age of the unit.
Appreciate your time.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
OK good luck.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.