Brian, Certified Apple Consultant
Experience:  I've been supporting Mac users and business professionally for 14 years.

Out of no-where I can not open Power Point I have many PPt

Customer Question

Out of no-where I can not open Power Point
I have many PPt presentations - none will open
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brian replied 6 years ago.

Do you mean the PowerPoint /application/ wont open? Or does the application open, and you're just not able to open a /presentation (ppt)/?

If the application itself wont open, go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.. and select your hard drive from the left sidebar. Then, over to the right, under the First Aid tab, click the "Repair Permissions" button. Let it run. Don't worry right now about the stuff showing in the log window. After it's done, quit Disk Utility and try opening PowerPoint again.

When you unexpectedly lose access to an application, printer, etc. this is usually caused by a corrupt permissions file. Disk Utility will fix that. Let me know if this helps.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
PPT opened but program did not. Screen is blank and computer is locked in PPT mode
Have to manually shut computer down to clear screen
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I repeated the process and the message was - Microsoft Power Point can not be opened
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I still can not access PPT and I need help
Expert:  Brian replied 6 years ago.

Is there anything else in the error message besides, "Microsoft PowerPoint can't be opened." ?

If the repairing permissions didn't resolve it, it's likely you have a bad preferences (.plist) file. You can safely delete the .plist file for PowerPoint, and it will generate a new one. A corrupt .plist file can absolutely stop an application from opening.

To remove the PowerPoint prefs file, go to:

[Home Folder] > Library > Preferences > Microsoft (folder).. and drag the "PowerPoint Settings" file to the Trash. You don't need to empty the trash. Now, try opening the PowerPoint application again.

Do you have other Office applications, like Word, Excel? Do they open ok?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no luck with ppt
word and excel are ok
Expert:  Brian replied 6 years ago.
If there's no error message other than "Microsoft PowerPoint can't be opened".. and if repairing permissions and replacing the PowerPoint Settings file didn't affect anything.. then I'm inclined to say that the problem is with the PowerPoint application itself. I would recommend resinstalling it.

The only other step that may be of any help would creating a new account/user on your Mac, logging in to that account, and attempting to open PowerPoint.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Still do not have access to PPT
What do I use to re-install PPT