Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

All of a sudden some folders I create and put in my server

All of a sudden some folders I create and put in my server are inaccessible to others on my network. We have no restrictions on permissions on file and don't know where this is coming from, need to undo it and prevent it. Any ideas please?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
What version server?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The files are being created on a computer using Mac OS X 10.6.3
The files can not be added to using two computers using Mac OS X 10.4.11
Jim & Nick at Image Design & [email protected]@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Sorry I don’t understand. You are creating the files on the 10.6.3 Mac and saving them where? How are you sharing them you said you had a server.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am on OS10.6.3. The server and the other guy is on OS10.4.11. We are networked and access our servers and ftp from our own computers. Contents of File folders I create on my computer can be viewed but not modified. Other documents cannot be added or removed from those folders.

Our server hosts file folders for individual jobs and we all access those folders and need to modify them. This problem cropped up without any action on our part. We have no restriction permissions on our network for anyone.

When I create folder I open my job file for that particular month, hit file>nnew folder. I name it and put things in it. The other guy here has this access problem when he goes into that same folder from his computer. Only his computer, not others here. Again, our server is accessible from all computers in the office.

Hope that helps.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
OK but which computer are you storing them on and is it an actual Mac OS Server or just a regular Mac OS X with sharing on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The files are on a Mac server, OS 10.4, a tower unit.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Do you have someone who manages your server?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, it never needed managing..for years. Isn't this an issue with my computer defaulting to some permissions setting that I didn't make? Isn't there some place in my computer where I change a setting that never restricts access to file folders I create?
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Has to be done on the server. Do you want instructions?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes please...
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
OK I actually have to step away for about an hour can Iget back to you?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes. this is a lot more complicated than I thought.....
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
I have found that using the Tiger server and certain programs like Office I have had to make all the users sign in with the same username or those permission problems arise. In the meantime go to the server and open Workgroup Manager/Sharing, then highlight the folder or drive in question on the left and select the Access tab on the right. Make sure your permissions are correct and then go down to the little gear to Propagate Permissions. That should fix it for now.