Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

ive been on hold (still) for over an hour at HP business su

Customer Question

i've been on hold (still) for over an hour at HP business support per my Z3100 44" printer(prod. # XXXXX). New Driver download does not show up in the printer list where it should have after installation (according to HP instructions). Mac OSX 10.4.11.
Thx,
Joe
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello Joe, my name is Dan.

Daniel :

After you downloaded the proper driver for 10.4.11, you then ran the installer and that was successful?

Daniel :

How did you add the printer?

Customer:

Hi Dan. Yes, it said 'successful', but the driverf didn't show up where it was supposed to.

Customer:

I've been using the printer for 2 years, and am simply trying to update the Driver and Firmware to get better 'red' saturation.

Daniel :

To add a printer, you first open System Preferences/Printer & Fax, it looks like this.

Full Size Image
It will be the fifth from the left in the second row.

Daniel :

Then you already know how to add the printer correct?

Customer:

Yes, I've been there and the printer shows up where it's supposed to. It's just the new Driver that doesn't appear on the list of available Drivers for the Z3100.

Daniel :

Full Size Image

Daniel :

Full Size Image

Customer:

I read on another 'user' forum that the driver doesn't show up, and needs to be 'custo' installed... whatever that meaqns. I gave up after an hour the other night of trying all kinds of other ways in.

Customer:

'custom' installed (typo).

Customer:

HP says that after successful installation, that new Driver should appear but it does not,

Daniel :

You may have to select a driver from a list, it will be one where it says Print Using: Auto Select, it will be a pop-up menu and a few select Other then it will open a finder window when you can navigate to where the drivers are stored.

Customer:

That is the list that does not show this new driver.

Customer:

Been ther, couldn't do that.

Customer:

: )

Daniel :

They will be found in your Hard Drive/Library/Printers. Inside that folder will be installed printer software clicking on in your case HP will list all the available drivers for those machines.

Customer:

Let me look.

Daniel :

You can also use spotlight, that's that magnifying glass looking thing in the upper right corner, if you know what the driver's name is. It will probably be the same name as the .dmg that you downloaded.

Customer:

I'm in Library/Printers now. What icon am I looking for?

Customer:

Never mind, found the list.

Customer:

No "Z3100" listed.

Daniel :

When you installed the driver did it give you a choice of word put it? if not then I would use spotlight and type in Z 3100 and see where it points to.

Customer:

HP PCL3 Raster is not found by Spotlight...

Customer:

HP PCL3 Raster is not found by Spotlight.

Customer:

The Z3100 was already in my printer list. According to 'update instrustions', the HP PCLe Raster Driver should be showing up on this list, but doeas not:

Customer:

Full Size Image
Which? The Printer, Driver...?

Daniel :

That's why I say try reinstalling, something didn't work right even though it said it was successful. If there is an uninstaller then run that first.

Daniel :

Your image did not come through. It has to be a JPEG.

Customer:

Tried that the other night, but will do so again.

Customer:

It's just a scree grab of the "Printer Browser" where the driver list is located.

Customer:

Using the HP "Uninstaller", I have a choice now of uninstalling the "HP Utility" or the "Photosmart Pro Print"

Customer:

?

Daniel :

How many HP devices you have attached and use?

Customer:

Just the Z3100

Daniel :

In that case uninstall everything.

Customer:

OK

Customer:

Even after 'successful uninstall' shows up, these same 2 HP Devices stay on the list of "Devices To Uninstall"... twice now

Customer:

"HP Utility" & "Photosmart Pro print"

Customer:

The Printer doesn't show up however as a potential 'uninstall'.

Daniel :

Okay, now try to reinstall the driver.

Customer:

I'm getting conflicting messages about the uninstall. First it says 'uninstall successful'. Then when I go to Quit Unimstall, it says "HP Uninstaller has not finished removing HP softwars".

Daniel :

Okay, I think were getting to the root of the problem here. Force quit it, by holding the option command and pushing escape. If you have to. Then restart your computer, restart then press and hold these 4 keys down, 'Option', 'Command(Apple)', 'R' and 'P' keys, keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes then let go.

This resets all of the system busses, USB, Optical drive, Firewire, display etc.

Customer:

I will lose this window if I restart.

Daniel :

Make a bookmark it will be in the menubar at the top of your screen where it says bookmarks. Then you will be able to come right back to this very same place.

Customer:

OK

Customer:

I'm back

Customer:

Went through all of that Dan. I've reinstalled the new Driver, and Step #6 in the "HP Printer Setup Assistant" clearly states "Select the PCL3 Raster driver from the Print User list." It's still not there.

Customer:

Customer:

Customer:

Customer:

Customer:

Customer:

Customer:

Customer:

Customer:

Customer:

Customer:

Customer:

Customer:

Customer:

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

Your expert is gathering additional information and will be back with you shortly.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
I have to ask this, you did download the driver for Mac OS X. 10.4.11, am I correct?
I ask this just on a hunch.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
I have to ask, you did download the driver for Mac OS 10.4.11, correct?
I ask this just on a hunch.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Dan,
This is a problem specific to the Mac/HP printer linkage, and I'd hoped you had run into it before. I had HP tech support walk me through a similar problem 2 years ago (back when HP actually HAD tech support), and it was a 5 minute fix for them by phone.

The suggestions you were making were all steps I had already tried before logging in to your help line, and were not giving me the specific information needed. Plus, my patience had already worn thin waiting hours for HP, and so I finally gave up and paid my local tech guru to come over and resolve the issue.

In case you run into this again (Z3100 Raster Driver not showing up in list of available drivers after 'successful' driver installation), the resolution was that the driver did not in fact install, despite HP's 'successful' message window.

It has to be pulled out of the complete installation package separately, and then installed (again).

It took my local guy (15 yr. Mac IT, w/ brother who has 20 years Mac IT, & father who has 25 yrs. Mac IT) 2 hours on-site to figure out and fix this.

But thank you anyway.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Actually I have run into that with HP scanner software before and had forgotten it.
I will keep that marked for future reference though, thank you.
Happy to have it working. I will close this question so if you should get a reminder from JA just ignore it.