Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

My safari will not start when I try to get on the internet.

Customer Question

My safari will not start when I try to get on the internet. It gives me a message that Mac OS X and other applications are not affected. How can I fix this problem? Thank you for any help you can give me.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name isXXXXX you tell me what version of Mac OS X. is on your computer?

Daniel :

Can you tell me what Mac it is?

Daniel :

And exactly what transmission is on the Mac that you repaired? Was it a three speed or four speed with overdrive? Just a little funny there.

Daniel :

I am assuming that you're talking about permissions.

Customer:

Safari Macbook

Customer:

not sure about the three speed or four speed with overdrive I would need help finding that information

Customer:

I just followed the instructions on a previous time on here and it did not fix it.

Daniel :

Okay, that was just a little joke anyway.

Daniel :

The first thing I suggest, when things start acting screwy, is to repair the permissions. This is done with Disk Utility found in Applications/Utilities.

Customer:

oh sorry i am not very computer savy

Daniel :

It will look like this.

Full Size Image

Daniel :

It is best to have no running applications when doing this, and a restart afterwards doesn't hurt anything either. Try that and let me note that helps, if not there are more things to do.

Customer:

Yes that is the first thing I tried and it did not fix the problem

Customer:

The next thing I tried was taking the apple safari plist and dragging it to the trash

Customer:

That did not work either. Are there any other suggestions?

Customer:

how do i get to the apple menu

Daniel :

It is in the upper left corner of your screen, it looks like an apple with a bite out of it.

Customer:

version 10.5.8

Customer:

are you still here

Customer:

are you still here

Customer:

are you still here

Customer:

are you still here

Customer:

are you still here

Daniel :

Yes I'm still here

Daniel :

Now you're going to try what we know as a Safe Boot.

Customer:

ok

Daniel :

For a Safe Boot restart, and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key, until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.

When you reach the login screen, it will say in red on the login window SafeBoot, login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.

This would take considerably longer to load than normal because it is running repair routines on your hard drive and applications. So please give it time, I have known it could take up to 20 minutes. After it finishes then try your Safari.

Customer:

ok i will tell you i have windows loaded on my computer also. when i turn it on i have to hold the alt option button to bring up the choices of windows or mac. Do I need to do this before I hit the shift key and continue

Daniel :

No, you do not need to do that. Because this has nothing to do with that.

Customer:

ok if i dont hold the alt option key it goes straight to the windows side. When I tried to start up the mac side it went to the regular desktop without asking for any login

Customer:

ok how do i get to system preferences again

Daniel :

System preferences can be reached through the Apple menu, same place you found about this Mac.

Customer:

ok starting back up now

Daniel :

Okay.

Customer:

just hit login from the safe boot window

Customer:

no this did not fix the problem

Daniel :

Okay, restart and let it go normal. Read download Safari. And reinstall it.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

where do i read download safari

Daniel :

I assume, that the machine that you are using this conversation is the same machine you are trying to get Safari to run on. So therefore, go to the Apple site here Apple - Safari - Introducing Safari 4 - See the web in a whole new way

Daniel :

Just click on that blue Text that says Apple and it will take you right where you need to go.

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

Your expert is gathering additional information and will be back with you shortly.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Can you tell me the model and year of your Mac, I mean when was it new?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I dont know what is going on. my computer changed formats and i went back to look at our chat and there were a couple questions that just repeated several times but i only sent them once. I havent heard anything and was just wondering if you were trying to look something else up for me to try. Thanks

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Nope, that was a site malfunction. That is why we are conversing in this manner now, the other format had a problem.
I do need the model of the Mac that you are using and when it was new.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

its a macbook and i think its a 2006

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Okay, next we're going to reset the System Management Controller (SMC).
You need to follow the instructions below very carefully for this to work.
Please let me know if this solves the Safari problem. If it does not then we will have to do something a little more drastic.
Note: Learn about removing the battery on MacBook and MacBook Pro.
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  5. Release the power button.
  6. Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
  7. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

this did not fix the problem

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Now it's time to do the drastic. You are going to get a brand spanking new operating system, you will however keep all of your old data.
This is called an Archive and Install preserving user data and network settings.
You will need your Leopard installation disk for this, below is a link that will give you a PDF that explains all about how to do this.
Copy/paste that into your browser. This will work to download on any machine be it Windows or Mac. You did not tell me what you are using to converse with me or if you did that part of the conversation was lost. If this is a problem then chances are I can get the instructions e-mailed to you, I cannot e-mail them directly.The name of this file is Complete Install.
This link will be good for one day. If you can I suggest printing it out.
http://senduit.com/7dec2c
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i do not have the original disk. i purchased the computer on ebay and it didnt come with a disk. Is there any way i can do this without the original disk?
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
No, it cannot be done without an installation disk. It does not have to be the original installation disk, it can be a retail version. You can find one on Amazon providing you can get online to get it. The other thing you can do is borrow one from a friend.
But it is essential to have an installation disk.