Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I cant see my hard drive on my desktop anymore

Customer Question

I can't see my hard drive on my desktop anymore
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Click on the Finder desktop go to Finder/Preferences/General. Check all the boxes. Show these item on the desktop
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello Mike,
I've already done that. I can see it with disc utility but the Finder>Preference> commands are as they should be still no hard drive on the desktop. Any other ideas?

Randy
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Yes is this your main drive or an external?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It's my main hard drive internal
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
First:

Go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair.

Then go to your username folder/Library/Preferences and trash the file com.apple.finder.plist and restart.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Any luck?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello Mike,
That didn't work either. I used a program called Macintosh Explorer and I could see the drive. However, the Get Info in the program says the drive has a "Custom Icon" and that it's "Invisible". So, I guess it's an invisible icon?? Please help
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My system is as follows
Power Mac G5 Dual 2.3 PCI-X Machine
Mac OS X 10.4.11
8gb Memory
Processor Dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
OK try the app select your drive and check Remove Custom Icon.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello Mike,
Downloaded the app but it will not launch on Tiger 10.4.11. However, it will launch on my Leoparad 10.5.8 drive. I forgot to mention that I have two drives. I have recording software I use in Tiger only and Leopard Only. Does that matter with a 2 drive system?
Randy
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
It might. Boot into 10.5 and try it on the other drive that way.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried it but it doesn't give me the ability to select the Tiger drive becuase it's not seen. It's seeing all my drives except the Tiger one.
Randy
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Try this for Tiger:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10870637

Leopard:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20070

under Utilities/Visibility see if your HD shows up.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello Mike,
Sorry nothing you suggested worked. I found this link and it solved my problem. This should be of help to you in the future also. I use the "Script Editor" suggestion and it solved my problem. My hard drive is back on the desktop

Randy
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
What is the link?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry I forgot the link! It's: http://www.pinkmutant.com/articles/invisible.html

The Script Editor info in the link brought my drive back to the desktop.

Randy
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
That link isn’t working for me. Where are you located?

Edited by Mike the MacMedic on 6/2/2010 at 3:08 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Here's the info for the link. I'm in Michigan

Launch ScriptEditor and copy and paste this into the script window:

tell application "System Events"
set visible of disk "NameofDisk" to true
end tell

tell application "Finder" to quit
delay 1
tell application "Finder" to launch

Replace NameofDisk with the actual name of your disk, hit the Compile icon to make sure the script didn't acquire any errors, and then hit run. This should set the visible attribute back to visible and quit and relaunch the Finder, thus making the change available.

The same thing can happen to other drives, both internal and external. You can use the same Applescript to fix those as well, just put in the name of the drive.