Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Here is the error messege I got when trying to open iTunes.

Here is the error messege I got when trying to open iTunes. "The iTunes application could not be opened. An unknown error occurred. (-50)" I found some info regarding this on apple, something about ht1925 or the like, that told me to remove apple apps in a certain order via control panel. Add/Remove Programs wont allow me to remove any Apple application. Now what?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Did you try downloading and just try to install over it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. I only get more error messeges about not able to access the product key or something like that. I have been so frustrated I failed to right that one down.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
If you are daring you can try this:

Run Regedit:

1) Find these reg keys: The next steps instruct you on what the My Music key should be edited to look like.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

2) In the Shell Folders modify the key (or create a new key (edit > new key)) to look like this:

My Music Reg_SZ C:\Documents and Settings\jdoe (put your own logon name in place of jdoe)\My Documents\My Music

This is the default location for My Music folder...

3) In the USER Shell Folders modify the key (or create new one if missing) to this:

My Music REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Music

JUst to be really clear...you use the above line exactly...do not substitute your logon name for userprofile...

In both steps 2 and 3, the reg keys will all have similar structure...if the list doesn't have a long column of REG_SZ and REG_EXPAND_SZ
you are in the wrong place (I screwed this up 5 times before noticing that I wasn't in the USER Shell Folder)

4) Exit the registry.

5) Next delete the Apple Computer folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer

6) Reboot

7) Install iTunes - hopefully you will be all set
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will give it a try, this sounds good, however, will I lose all my current music files in iTunes? I do have backups but just wondering.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
No those would be in your music folder and that is what this should fix telling the app where it is.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.