Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

i have lost some pictures and want to restore, if i hit the

i have lost some pictures and want to restore, if i hit the iphoto restore button it will likely double my pictures on my external hard drive; is there anyway i can select which ones to restore or does it do this automatically? When i tried this before i had to delete thousands of duplicates!
First launch iPhoto holding down the Option and Command keys. Do the repairs that are listed. If that doesn’t work:

Quit iPhoto

Go to your username folder/Pictures and select iPhoto Library

Launch Time Machine, go back to your last backup when the pictures where still there

Click on the library and hit Restore.

Keep both in case you need to put it back

open iPhoto
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
last time i did this it doubled all my 10,000 pictures and when i ran a program to delete the duplicates it deleted more than the duplicates. is there a way to restore only the pics i lost? will it double my picture volume?
Did you try the repair first? If the backup has duplicates in it that is the only way that would happen because you are completely replacing the old Library with the backup but keeping the old just in case.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how do i repair first? if in the meantime i have added photos and removed duplicates and some disgarded photos do i have to go through them all again to remove the duplicates etc?