Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Hi I recently disassembled my 15 Macbook Pro (Model A1150)

Customer Question

Hi I recently disassembled my 15" Macbook Pro (Model: A1150) to replace a broken bezel around the screen, I purchased a genuine replacement on ebay and the installation went fine and i followed the instructions on ifixit.com extremely precisely and accurately. However the laptop no longer boots up properly. When the power button is pressed, the I can hear the hard drive initiate and begin to spin, then the fans start to spin and then everything dies.

However, if I hold the power button down for quite a while, the hard drive initiates, fans spin, and then there is a long, loud bleeeep. Once the beep has finished the computer begins to boot up and everything seems fine, however the fans do not stop spinning and are running at max RPM which is extremely weird. I have to do this each time I want to turn the computer on and obviously there is something majorly wrong...

Any ideas on what's wrong/a possible fix?

Cheers,

Johnny
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Try this:

Resetting the SMC on Mac portables with a battery you can remove

• Shut down the computer.
  • Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
  • Remove the battery.
  • Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
  • Release the power button.
Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've done this aswell with no luck :/
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Can you try booting from your System Disk to see if it happens with that as well?

Put the system disk in and restart holding down the C key until you see the Apple logo. If the problem is gone do this:

When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, when it opens select your drive on the left and select Verify Disk if OK also repair Permissions. If not OK try to Repair.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ahh, good thinking, i'll try and find the disks also I think the optical drive is rather temperamental i'll let you know how I get on... might be a few hours though
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
OK let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok I couldn't find the original disks, however I did have the ones for my new 15" MBP, it said that OS X could not be installed on this computer but i clicked 'ok restore from backup', but then went to disk utilities; verified and repaired the disk, then rebooted and repaired permissions.

However it will not let me run a hardware test, it simply dies before it gets to fully load. The fans continue to spin at 100% and i have to hold down the power button to startup whilst there is still a long bleep and a lot of activity.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
But did the fans spin when you were boooted from the disk?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yep, I had to hold down the power button and let the bleep happen whilst holding c and the fans started and then everything happens as menioned above. I've just downloaded apple ASD, gonna burn that to DVD and see what that says.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
OK let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok i rebooted and held down the D key with the ASD disk inserted (still holding down the power button forever and waiting for the long loud bleep), it booted up and there was a lot of activity, then it spat the disk out having shown an oldskool OS9 type messagebox with no text or anything. It then continued to boot the OS...
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Boot what OS?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OS X 10.5.8
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
So it is booting fro the DVD not the hard rive? Are the fans spinning?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No it will not boot 'properly' from either... It continues to have the fans spinning at 100% when booted from the hard drive and dvd. It's really weird, i may try and video it for you so you can see what I mean
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Well you can try that but I doubt it will help. Unfortunately since you did the repair yourself I can only guess that you blocked some air flow or made some other error that is making it happen. It sounds like it is hardware related because we have tried different systems (hard drive & DVD and also reset both the PRAM and the SMC. I would say your only course of action would be to take it in to Apple. Sorry. Not what you want to hear I know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Taking it to apple means a lot of expense and I can't afford that. Is there any way to force a re-flash of the SMC by faking the current smc version so it updates again or something? Because the smc is where I have narrowed down to where the problem is...
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
No this is the only way:

• Shut down the computer.
  • Remove the battery.
  • Release the power button.

How did you determine that is the one and only answer?