robgranholm
robgranholm, Mac Genius
Experience:  2 Years at Apple, Current IT Administrator and Small Business Owner. Loves to help.
35592706

I have an imac and have just hooked up apple tv. Problem is

Customer Question

I have an imac and have just hooked up apple tv. Problem is there's a thin green line down the left side of the tv screen when I'm on apple tv (and occasionally along the top but thinner). Any ideas why? Would it be more likely to be a television problem (Philips plasma) or the apple system. My mac screen is fine.
Category: Mac
Expert:  loadedmind replied 4 years ago.
Please describe what you're using to connect the AppleTV to your TV and whether it's RCA/Component/SVideo/HDMI etc.

Regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi John

It's connected with an HDMI cable. Mac to mac tv is wifi.

Many thanks

Si
Have you tried adjusting your resolution? If not, open System Preferences, click Display and try setting your resolution to anything but what it's currently set to and see whether the green lines disappear.

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi John

Other than making the view on the computer monitor look rough(!) this has changed nothing on the tv screen. It's infuriating!! Any other ideas?

Simon
At this point, the only thing I can think of is that the HDMI cable might be defective. Can you try borrowing one from a neighbor or perhaps you have an extra one?

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi John

Just tried another HDMI cable with no joy. Don't suppose you have any other ideas? Thanks for trying!

Simon

It sounds as if the video source (AppleTV) may have issues, but I will Opt Out to allow other Experts the opportunity to assist you.

Regards,
Expert:  robgranholm replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I can step in here and try. Your first question was what is more likely to be the issue. It's more likely to be the TV especially now that you've looked at the HDMI cable. Unplug the Apple TV completely and just turn the tv on and flip through the menu's and video inputs...does the green line still show?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've tried uninstalling and unplugging the apple tv completely, I've even restored the television back to factory settings. The green line only appears when the apple tv is on.
Yep, if it's only that...and you've taken those steps, your answer her is that the AppleTV's output is not fully-functional. The device is broken! I'm so sorry, the next solution here is to take it back to Apple, I know they have a year warranty on their devices, do you need any help finding an apple store?