Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

computer boots up as usual but cannot get anything to open.

computer boots up as usual but cannot get anything to open. using wireless key board and mouse. have shut down 2 times but still same problem
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen and tell me the System Version, the Processor and the Memory. If you can;t fine.

Then go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair.

Then get back to me.

Edited by Mike the MacMedic on 6/1/2010 at 3:37 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I cannot access anything on the desktop. Curser moves but nothing responses to clicking on an icon, folder or dock.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
But your mouse cursor moves correct?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, the curser moves as usual
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Put the system disk in and restart holding down the C key until you see the Apple logo. When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, when it opens select your drive on the left and select Verify Disk if OK also repair Permissions. If not OK try to Repair.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have put in the disk and held down the c key the 1st screen "select language" Can't click on continue with curser or using return key.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Continue until you get to the install screen then stop and go to the top of the screen to Utilities drop down to Disk Utility
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I cannot continue because I cannot select the answer to the 1st screen. It will not go to next screen with out a response. Curser moves around screen but I cannot click on the continue tab.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Try Enter on keyboard. Though if your click is still not working it may be something else if you can’t do that restart and we will try to re setup your keyboard. Do you have a wired keyboard we can use?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Enter/return key does not work either. Yes, I have wired key board and mouse which I have conected.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
OK go to the Bluetooth icon on the upper right of there screen to Open Bluetooth Preferences. Delete your keyboard and mouse from the left of the panel by selecting and clicking on the minus sign. Then turn the keyboard and mouse off and back on then try to add them again.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The wired key board and mouse work just fine. I canceled the install and restarted the system. Everything is now working. Thanks!!
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Oh yes I expected the wired would but I just wanted you to use it to setup the wireless keyboard. So that is now working?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did not set it up. I will have my husband do it when he returns. I have much to do and have wasted enough time. I don't understand why it was working 1 min and not the next. I would have thought of switching had it not worked when I first turned on the computer.
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
OK let me know.