Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

We just bought a 27 iMac. How do we transfer email from accounts

Customer Question

We just bought a 27" iMac. How do we transfer email from accounts and mail boxes on our old G5?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
What Mail program were you using?
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Apple mail. The G5 has an OS of 10.5. The iMac has 10.6
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Was there only one account on the G5?
Mike, Mac Medic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. Three email accounts. Different domains.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
All on the same user account or did you have separate computer users accounts?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One user account
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
OK there are two ways, one is to use the Migration Assistant with your old machine connected in Target Disk Mode. And transfer just the Mail. If you have already copied the Mail folder over from your old username/Library then you also need to Copy over the com.apple.mail.plist from yourusernamefolder/Library/Preferences. Replace any item that your new Mail created.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We already had copied the contents of the Mail folder. We get mail that was stored on the mail server but not the mail in the inbox or custom mail boxes. Still puzzeled on how to do that.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Did you also copy over the com.apple.mail.plist file to your username/Library/Preferences? Quit Mail first.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, we quit Apple Mail and the dialog asked us if we wanted to replace. We said yes. We resarted Mail. No old (stored on the G5) emails.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
OK you took the “Mail“ folder and there also might be a “Mail Downloads“ folder from your old “Macintosh HD/Users/your username/Library“ to your new “Macintosh HD/Users/Library“ and also the “com.apple.mail.plist“ file from your old “Macintosh HD/Users/your username/Library/Prefercnes“ to your new “Macintosh HD/ Users/your username/Library/Preferences“ and copied them. Try it again replacing everything then restart the Mac and open Mail.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Apple said the same thing but we said "there has got to be a better way." We found it.
Boot the source computer (G5) into Target Mode. Then select "Import Mailboxes" from the destination Apple Mail. Find the target mailbox on the G5. Import. An import mailbox is created. Copy the emails to the destination mailbox on the new computer.
That's it.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Yes that was my next suggestion. So it worked?