Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

Hi Im have problems with 0pening files on the desktop.

Hi

I'm have problems with 0pening files on the desktop. I double click on a file and it won't open. I have to use apple O to open the file. I am also experieeeeeeeeencing trouble with typing as you can see. I have run away letters.
thanks for your help.

Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello Eric, my name is Dan.

Daniel :

Can you tell me what type of map you are using? The MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac?

Daniel :

You've changed out the mouse and keyboard from what to what?

Customer:

mac mini

Customer:

another mac keeeyboard and a none apple wireless moouse

Daniel :

Okay, the first thing to do to solve this problem is to reset the PRAM. Restart then press and hold these 4 keys down, 'Option', 'Command(Apple)', 'R' and 'P' keys, keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes then let go.

This resets all of the system busses, USB, Optical drive, Firewire, display etc. please make sure that you hear 4 start up chimes.

Daniel :

If that doesn't do the job then we will do something else.

Customer:

Ahh I reemeberr doing this before. I have to go to wwwwwork now. please contact me by email.

Customer:

I will try this when I get back home!

Customer:

Customer:

Hi Daniel,

Customer:

I tried resetting the pram wwwwwhen I got hoome from wwork tto no avail. What is the next step?

Customer:

Daniel :

As you can see we had an issue with Chat yesterday.

Daniel :

The next thing we're going to do is called a SafeBoot.

Daniel :

For a Safe Boot restart, and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key, until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.

When you reach the login screen, it will say in red on the login window SafeBoot, login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.

This will take much longer than usual to boot or load up. So please be patient, I have seen it takes up to 20 minutes for this to work.

Daniel :

Once it has finished try opening files like you want to. And let me know the results.

Customer:

Hi Daniel,

Daniel : Hello yourself.
Customer:

I checked the disk and found some problems so I started it up with the Mac X disc and repaired it but still no go. I'll now try the soft boot

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

Your expert is gathering additional information and will be back with you shortly.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
We have been switched over to a standard question-and-answer format because we are having problems with the chat at this time.
Let me know when you get back.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have tried the soft boot but the fffolders still won't open, sso baack to apple O until we find the probllem. Thank you for all your help.

Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
I do suggest reinstalling your operating system. Do this with an Archive and Install preserving all user data and network settings.
This is what I recommend doing, below is a link that you have to copy paste into your address bar of your browser and then hit return. It will download into your downloads folder and will be called Complete install.pdf. The link is good for two days and then it expires.
Read it through carefully before you do it and print it out if you can.
http://senduit.com/7be2af

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll try this when I get home!