Danh, Systems Administrator
Experience:  9 Years in System Administration

We have two computers in our house, a desk top & laptop. We

We have two computers in our house, a desk top & laptop. We have wireless internet. We have a problem that emails come to both computers, which ever is on at the time. So I deleted my mailbox on the laptop thinking my emails would come to the desktop, now emails still come to the laptop., but I can't retrieve them.
1.) How do I retrieve the emails since I deleted my mailbox off the laptop?
2.) By deleting my mailbox on the laptop does that screw up my gmail account on the desk top?
3.) Both computers say both accounts are offline, do they need to say online?
4.) If I go onto gmail website could I get the laptop emails, do I need an account?
5.) For the future how do I get my emails to come only to the desktop? Thanks Alice

goto and log into your account. Are your emails in there?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried to but I've never had to go into the gmail website, so i don't know if I have a login and password.
Should I set one up and try it? When I looked at the website it asked to set up new accounts but I already have a gmail account so I didn't want to mess anything up any further. But I also want to know how to get the emails to the desktop only, thats my main question. Thanks Alice
Is your email a gmail account? If so, then you would login with your gmail email and password. I assumed you had gmail since you mentioned that in your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, sorry I thought this was a gmail question site. I will try to login using my gmail email. But the other question I have is how do I get only my emails on the desktop and not go to the laptop?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Also I asked first since I deleted my mailbox off the laptop did I mess anything else up on the desktop. I have been receiving your emails so i know it works. I turned the laptop off so now all the emails are going to the desktop. I just can't retrieve the emails off the laptop.

Gmail uses IMAP, so it doesn't matter what computer you use to check email. Everything remains on the server. The emails don't come to the laptop or the desktop.

When you are checking email on the laptop you are seeing what's on the server and same for the desktop. They both see the same thing and are synced with the server.

So whichever computer you are working on at the time, if you do something on that delete an email message...then it deletes it from the server. Which means whichever computer you use to check email will no longer display that message because it was deleted.

Basically, what it all boils down to is that all your computers see the same thing and if you do something on one, it will reflect on the other.

Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay by saying the computers see the same thing if i deleted my gmail account on the laptop are you saying it would reflect the desktop? I still am receiving emails since I turned the laptop completely off. If I get an email on the laptop I don't see it on the desktop. If I want to have it on the desktop I have to forward it to my husbands gmail account. That is what started this is emails would go to one or the other computer which ever was on at the time. I know it sounds crazy. Alice

hmm....that does sound's the same gmail account set up on both computers right?

First, let's just see what we see on the server. Were you able to log onto the web based gmail account?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes both gmail accounts are the same. I will try to log in to the web based account. I have never had to go into it but I'll try now.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I logged onto the gmail website and I could see my emails. what you see on the "website" is what you see on the laptop currently, right? ....Message wise.

Once you confirm this, we can focus on the desktop

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay I went back into gmail's website to check. I can see the laptop emailsfrom earlier this morning and also your emails from the desktop. So I can see emails from both computers, its just that some go to the laptop and some go to the desktop. I turned the laptop off so I could consontrate on the desktop.
let's check your email settings to make sure the are set to are using a mac correct?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

goto mac email, click on the mail tab => select preferences => click on accounts => Is account type IMAP or POP3?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is a POP but does not say POP3 let's change it to imap. We'll have to delete the current I just want to be sure that you saw all your emails on the "website" account. If it's good there, then we can delete the account on your mac and recreate as imap.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes the emails are on the website let's first click on the (-) minus sign to delete your gmail account from the mac. Let me know when it's deleted.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am on the desktop is that where you want me to delete it? Where is the minus sign?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay I found it and deleted my husband and my accounts, now I'm a little nervous.
so let's click on the plus sign...enter your name, email address...leave password XXXXX Then click continue.
then uncheck automatic setup and click continue. let me know when you've done this
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok it's done

At this point, you should see account type ... set this to imap instead of pop. You should see your username ... confirm it's correct, set the server to (instead of ... then enter your password XXXXX gmail. after that click continue

let me know when this is done.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok its done

Now it will ask for a description for the smtp server.. Just put gmail smtp then click continue

AFter that click...CREATE

Then close out of account settings.

Give it a couple of seconds and it will start syncing with the server and you'll see emails come through.

Let me know when this is done.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There was 2 spots on that page. One said description that was highlighted and I put gmail smtp then under servers it already said smtp so I left that and click continue. After that CREATE. closed my settings, waited but nothing happened. Should I try again. Should I of changed it under server to say gmail smtp and leave description blank?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It took about 10 minutes to load but I can see them now's syncing all your emails initially, so that takes a while. Now you have to do the same thing on the other computer and then you can use either one of them.