Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My daughters Apple will not go on the internet wirelessly.

Customer Question

My daughter's Apple will not go on the internet wirelessly. See previous.

Actiontec wireless connection with pppoe - ISP protocol. The OS X is a 10.4.11. I am able to use the computer with an ether net cable. Wayne Johnson
Category: Mac
Expert:  robgranholm replied 4 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?Is there a previoud thread with more information about how you are connecting and what "Actiontec" is?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Actiontec - This is the device that translates the DSL signal and has an antenna to provide a wireless internet connection.

Ethernet - is the cable that can supply a connection to the internet for this computer. My daughter needs the wireless to work.

13642432

4Suuk09

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Wireless Problem:

Apple iMac - OS X 10.4.11

I changed the wireless transmitter's id and the iMac did not make the change.

There are controls in the upper RH corner that I have utilized but to no responce and it just comes up with, Authorization Failed

I am using the Air Port. I am using a 128k bit password.

Internet Connect: Authorization Failed - Pops up

The Actiontec wireless transmitter uses PPPOE

Please Help, Mr. Johnson

I see, the issue is with the authentication. Let's test the wireless "transmitter" which is called a router without a password. Please let me know if you take the password XXXXX if it works or not. If so, try a different password, and please let me know which type of password XXXXX are creating... it is a WPA or WEP? the settings will be your "routers" configuration menu.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
<p> </p><p> </p><p>Removed WEP 128 bit password. Shut down and re start Actiontec router.</p><p>Now Looking for PPPOE connection</p><p>It says to use DHCP with no password. </p><p>Suggestions? </p><p> </p>
Can you clarify what is looking for PPOEO connection. Let me make something clear. Your router does the PPPOE connection...your computer does not. Your computer just gets onto the wireless using a normal WIFI connection. PPPEO only refers to the fact that you are using DSL to connects your router to the internet. Does this make anything more clear? I know the words and connection types are strange. I can try to start over from the beginning if neccessary. I'll need to know exactl what type of set up you have, what type of internet service and the exact model of your DSL modem and router, which may be two devices, or it may be a combined device.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can you clarify what is looking for PPOEO connection The Apple is looking for the PPPOE

Does this make anything more clear? There is pppoe and dhcp. we have pppoe for now.

what type of internet service - I have Qwest DSL. The signal comes in over the phone lines. 1.5 meg.

and the exact model of your DSL modem - I have the Actiontec GT701-WG. This supplies the wireless signal

and the Linksys router provides the extra ports for the desk top computers I have.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Should I not hold my breath. I asked for some help with my wireless iMac and the best you can do is Turn off all your equipment for 5 minutes and to ask questions.

Tell me would you be impressed? Mr. Johnson

No I'm just getting a clear picture of the problem. I'm still on task and promise to answer all questions within 24 hours. Sorry for the delay here and that you had the expectation of something faster. It's a tricky situation, your actiontec device appears to be a modem and router in one device. If it supplies the wireless signal, it would seem that you iMac should be connecting to it via DHCP, please try selecting that as an option. We're trying to establish if the password XXXXX the problem. I know MAC's have typically displayed trouble with a WEP type connection. Please let me know if trying DHCP to connect to the wireless signal without security set up works. I'll be here tomorrow responding every two hours. 8-5pm EST.