Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I have a macbook--three years old. Lately the cursor has been

I have a macbook--three years old. Lately the cursor has been freezing--all the time. I know to reboot it. It works that day, a few days and them freezes again What is going on?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name is Dan.

Daniel :

What you need is some maintenance. There are three things I want you to do.

Daniel :

The first one is to reset the PRAM, restart then press and hold these 4 keys down, 'Option', 'Command(Apple)', 'R' and 'P' keys, keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes then let go.

This resets all of the system busses, USB, Optical drive, Firewire, display etc.

Full Size Image

Daniel :

Please make sure that you hear 4 startup chimes.

Daniel :

The second thing I want you to do is called a Safe Boot.

Daniel :

For a Safe Boot Restart, and before the First Chime Press and Hold the 'Shift' Key, until You See the Apple Logo and the Spinning Gear Appear, Then Let Go.

Daniel :

When You Reach the Login Screen, It Will Say in Red on the Login Window SafeBoot, Login and Give It a Few More Minutes to Finish Loading.

Daniel :

This will take considerably longer to boot that what you are used to. Please give it the time it wants it could take as long as 20 minutes.

Daniel :

The third thing I want you to do is to Repair Permissions, do this with Disk Utility found in Applications/Utilities, it will look like this.

Daniel :

You can find this using spotlight.

Full Size Image
This is the magnifying glass looking thing in the upper right corner of your screen.

Daniel :

After that finishes then you can quit Disk Utility, and restart. Now things should be back to normal the way they should be.

Daniel :

Please let me know.

Customer: Dan--I am a toddler on the computer, well,maybe kindergarten, by now. Your directions area little complicated for me. I will have to read them several times and I do have questions. But I do not have the time at the moment to give this my undivided attention. Have printed the instructions. When I can sit here and concentrate, I will send you my questions before I start so I am clear about the procedure. P
Daniel :

Okay, that is fine. I will happily clarify and answer any concerns. So you let me know when you want to begin.

Customer: Here are my questions. You who work with computers all the time don't know the elemental steps someone like me needs. Please be patient if my questions are basic.
Customer: 1. Is the computer black screen OFF when I begin?
Customer: 2When I press restart(the ON button) do I immediately press and hold 4 keys or wait until it is fully on?
Daniel : Yes, you need to go to the Apple menu in the far upper left corner, from that drop-down menu select Restart. Then as soon as the screen goes black press and hold those keys, wait for four startup chimes before letting go.
Customer: The second step is very confusing to me.
Daniel : If you have a wireless keyboard then immediately after the first chime press and hold those four keys.
Daniel : The second step is very similar to the first step, restart from the Apple menu and then hold down the 'Shift' key. And follow instructions from that point.
Customer: Is the second thing you want me to do AFTER I hold down the four keys and hear the four chimes?
Customer: When I reach the LOGIN screen, will it ask my email address(that is my user name, isn't it?) and my password?
Customer: When I press the spotlight the utility disk page comes up. What do I click on this page to get to the Repair Permissions page?
Customer: When I get to the Repair Permissions you have 1 and 2 in red and also FIRST AID red arrowed. Do a click first aid before 1 & 2? I have a 10.5.8 version and a wireless macbook.
Daniel : It will ask for your username and password, yes. The very top hit will be Disk Utility. That is what you should type into the text field of Spotlight.
Daniel : It doesn't matter which order you click on them as long as the one that says Repair Permissions is last.
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

Your expert is gathering additional information and will be back with you shortly.
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
The chat is offline for now so we will continue this way.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Daniel--it's 4:00. I have to go. Have a golf game. Will continue this tomorrow. Should I go to askdaniel ?
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Just bookmark this page and come right back to the same question.
Have fun golfing.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just wrote this. Don't think it went through.

It's 4:00 and I have to go. Golf game. Will be back tomorrow. Should I go to askdaniel to get back to you?
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I got it. Go have fun golfing and just bookmark this question page so that you can get right back to same place.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK "SEE" you tomorrow
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Okay
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Daniel--Have done the first 2 steps.

Did not hear 4 chimes. The second the blue screen came on it had that beginning "ta-da" sound. I pressed the 4 keys. Then I restarted and the blue screen came on immediately(ta-da) I hit the shift key. It downloaded (Apple and gear) for 5 minutes or so. Then a box appeared with a dog;s face my name and a space to put my password. I did. The desktop appeared.

Spotlighted disk utility and whenever I enter a blank box comes on with a few words about selecting a disk and burning a disk--or something. Went into Finder and applications and disk utility but cannot get into the screen for first aid.
Even lost my internet connection. Restarted and it came back.

Help!D
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
You are getting ahead of yourself.
Please tell me just how you did the PRAM reset? That is the one holding down the four keys, If your keyboard is wireless then restart normally by choosing restart from the Apple menu or if that fails then hold down the power button until it turns off.
Again, if your keyboard is wireless get your fingers ready and as soon as you hear that Ta Da sound immediately press and hold those keys and wait for the four chimes.
Many people have the same problem that you're having and that is not being able to make it work. It does indeed work as I described if it is done correctly.
Do only that thing and nothing else and let me know the results.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did the first step. Didn't realize the start up ta-da is the chime I was waiting for. Let it chime 4 times. The Apple and gear wheeel came on.
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Okay good, tell me, what were the results?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't know what results I should be looking for. The cursor is working. That was my main problem. But the real test is if the cursor doesn't freeze every day or so as it has been doing.

I haven't done the second step.

The apple and spinning gear showed up on the screen after the first step.
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Usually a PRAM reset fixes this type of issue as it resets all the system busses that control input form things like trackpads, mice and keyboards.
If it persists then I would look at the likely cause of a hardware problem. These are machines subject to the same flaws as all machines.
Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I hope it isn't a hardware problem as an Apple store is 3 hours from my home.

Daniel, thank you. We never did the 2nd and 3rd step. Do you not think they are necessary?
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
The second thing, SafeBoot, will not hurt anything and may possibly help.
For a Safe Boot restart, and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key, until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.
When you reach the login screen, it will say in red on the login window SafeBoot, login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.
This will take considerably longer to boot than normal, so please have patience, I have seen it take up to 20 minutes.
Once it finishes and you login then wait for a couple of minutes and restart normally.
The third step, you should do after every software update. It is called Repairing Permissions and is done with Disk Utility found in Applications/Utilities.
It will look just like this.
graphic
Again, there is no guarantee that this is going to take care of the problem so that it never comes back. Your computer is a machine and is subject to the same fallibility's as all machines have.
If that does not take care of the problem there is one more thing that you can do before it is diagnosed as hardware.
That is called an Archive and Install, preserving all user data and network settings.
This download link will have complete instructions for doing this, all you need do is copy/paste the link into your address bar of your browser and press return.
You will download and to where ever you have your downloads go to probably in a folder called downloads and it will be called Complete Install.pdf.
http://senduit.com/a53c0f
It is not difficult to do but please read the instructions very carefully and print them out so that you can refer back to them.
Let me know.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Daniel-I copied senduit/com/a53c0f and pasted it to my Google window. It said it couldn't find any such document.
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Do not put it in the Google window, put it in the address bar to the left of the window. It is where all of the www and http// things are.