iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
28671728

Hi I have a Mac Airbook, a BT broadband connection and a

Customer Question

Hi

I have a Mac Airbook, a BT broadband connection and a Belkin router. Randomly (it seems) the connection between the mac and the router stops working. Normally I can only fix it by rebooting the router

It works fine for hours (usually during the day) and then it will break connection at increasing frequent intervals

Any idea what the problem is?

Tristan
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Hi ,

Please check all phone/s and devices connected to the home phone points have the ADSL filters attached . This can cause internet drop outs .

Faulty ADSL filters , to be sure that filters are not the issue please disconnect all other non internet devices from the phone line , Fax machines , phones etc.

If this is not the problem , please try turning airport off & on from the top screen airport menu bar icon .

This menu may or may not be visible : to make it visible :-

Apple menu , System preference , network panel .

Click on Airport from the left hand list .

Click on show airport status in menu bar .

Close the Control panel .

The Menu bar icon will now be shown in the top screen menu bar.

Turn off & on the airport .

Does the Mac reconnect to the router ? Is internet working ok after off/on power cycling of the airport .

What is your belkin routers model number , a firmware update to the router may help ?

Has this connection issue always been an issue with this router ?

What version of OSX are you using?

Apple menu : About this Mac .

Can you test the router is still working by using the Ethernet connection via a Ethernet lead directly to the router , especially once the Wifi has stopped working ?
Or a second Pc / Mac over Wifi etc ?

Thanks .

Edited by iteachmac on 6/1/2010 at 1:36 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Please check all phone/s and devices connected to the home phone points have the ADSL filters attached . This can cause internet drop outs . CONFIRMED

Faulty ADSL filters , to be sure that filters are not the issue please disconnect all other non internet devices from the phone line , Fax machines , phones etc. HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE (BOUGHT A NEW FILTER TO CHECK IT WASNT FAULTY)

Close the Control panel .

Turn off & on the airport .

Does the Mac reconnect to the router ? Is internet working ok after off/on power cycling of the airport . SOMETIMES THIS WORKS THE FIRST COUPLE OF TIMES IT GOES DOWN BUT THEN ONLY REBOOTING THE ROUTER WORKS)

Has this connection issue always been an issue with this router ? IT WAS ALSO AN ISSUE WITH MY PREVIOUS BT ROUTER)

What version of OSX are you using? Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)

Apple menu : About this Mac .

Or a second Pc / Mac over Wifi etc ? WE HAVE TWO MACS CONNECTING TO THE SAME ROUTER AND BOTH ARE AFFECTED IN THE SAME WAY. IT HAPPENS WHEN ONLY ONE IS CONNECTED ASWELL AS WHEN BOTH ARE
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Router is Belkin N1 Vision
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Ok the problem seems to be with the router .

What Security method are you using to connect to the router ?

Please try none for a test , or other such as WEP or WPA2 to connect to the router .
Also please try setting the Wifi channel to 6 or 7 or 8 , higher or lower channels can some times make a router unstable .

Try to pick a channel no one else is using next door , this tool can help find a clear unused channel . .

WiFi Scanner v1.1

http://www.wlanbook.com/mac-os-x-wifi-scanner-snow-leopard/

Have you tried updating the router firmware .
Please provide a model number , and i will find the firmware download if any .

Are you using any bit torrent clients on the network , Vuze, bit torrent etc , lowing connections within the application settings can help a cheap router not crash under load .

Please reply using Firefox , your browser is not supported on this site .
i.e bad formatting , i.e no carriage returns . .

Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
have you got ichat? (dont have/use firefox)

how do i take security off?

how do i change wifi channel?

what is a bit torrent client?

Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Bit torrent is not an issue if your not using it .

(v1.00.16) which resolves the following issues:
- General improvements in performance and stability
- Fix for a problem where the router would drop some connections on 2-hour intervals
- Updated driver for the Wireless Network card

Sound familiar ?

I will try to locate the latest firmware .

ok .

http://www.belkin.com/uk/support/article/?lid=enu&pid=F5D8632uk4A&aid=14328&scid=314

Edited by iteachmac on 6/1/2010 at 2:17 PM EST
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience: Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
The wifi channel can be changed in the routers setup / config page .

The routers firm ware needs to be updated inside the routers config page also .

Do you know how to do this ?

Thanks.

Edited by iteachmac on 6/1/2010 at 2:20 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Im afraid I have no idea, sorry. I'm a techno-ignormus

I just downloaded the update. What do I do next?
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Connect your Mac via the Ethernet to do this .

Please read the manual page 10 chapter 5 to log in to the router and make changes and update firmware .

Step 1. How to log into the router
After you have configured TCP/IP on a client computer, use a web browser to configure the router. The router can be configured by any Java-supported browser such as Internet Explorer 5.0 or above. Using the web management interface, you may configure the router and view statistics to monitor network.
To access the router’s management interface, enter the IP address of the router in your web browser: 10.1.1.1
Note: If you are unable to access this web page please look at the IP setup section of the Troubleshooting section at the back of this manual.
Type in ‘admin’ as the password XXXXX click login. NOTE: Password XXXXX XXXXX sensitive.
ISP Settings
Please collect the following information from your ISP before setting up the router:
• ISP account user name and password • Protocol,encapsulationandVPI/VCIcircuitnumbers • DNS server address
• IP address, subnet mask and default gateway (for fixed IP users only)
Step 2. Navigating the web browser interface ISP account user name and password
The router’s management interface consists of a Setup Wizard and an Advanced Setup section.
Setup Wizard: Use the Setup Wizard to quickly set up the router.
Advanced Setup: Advanced Setup supports more advanced functions like hacker attack detection, IP and MAC address filtering, virtual server setup, virtual DMZ host, as well as other functions.
Note: If you would like to add any additional functions to your router please view the Advanced Setup table of contents in order to find the correct setup method.
Making Configuration Changes
Configurable parameters have a dialog box or a drop- down list. Once a configuration change has been made on a page, most of the times you will need to click the ‘SAVE SETTINGS’ or ‘NEXT’ button at the bottom of the page to enable the new setting unless there is an ‘ADD’ button for instance.
Note: To ensure proper screen refresh after a command entry, be sure that Internet Explorer 5.0 and above is configured as follows: Under the menu Tools/Internet Options/General/Temporary Internet Files/Settings, the setting for ‘Check for newer versions of stored pages’ should be ‘Every visit to the page.’

page 58 for firmware update .

Firmware Upgrade
Use this screen to update the firmware or user interface to the latest versions.
Download the file to your hard drive from the Belkin web site or from another source. Then click Browse...to find the file on your computer. Select the firmware file and click ‘Open.’ Click ‘Save Settings’ to start the upgrade process.

Edited by iteachmac on 6/1/2010 at 2:28 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have updated Firmware. Swtiched off security and set the channel to Auto

See how it goes

Thanks for your help!
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
ok , cool , if all goes well , switch back on your security , :)

use WPA2 ,

wep is said to be not so good .

Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The speed has improved significantly but the connection is still kicking out every now and then. It seems to reconnect when i switch off the airport off and on again...

is it better to have the channel on Auto or to a specific channel? Does it matter which one? Are they all the same?
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Hi its best to choose a channel in the middle , and one that is not used by other people , say next door .

To find out whos using what channels you can use the scanner tool as stated before .

WiFi Scanner v1.1

Once installed , look inside your Applications folder to see the app , Wifi scanner .

Launch it , and find out if theres any other networks in your area , and what channel their on , you dont want to be on the same channel so set your router to another channel in the mid range , chan 5 , 6 , 7 or 8 depending on other wifi networks close to you etc .

Ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks a lot!
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Ok lets hope this helps .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi
Sorry to trouble you again. But Ive noticed that I get an error message when I get disconnected:

IP address (xxxxxx) already in use and something about DCHP Server?

Do you know what that means?

Tristan
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Hi , Your router must be setup to provide DHCP .

This is standard in most cases .

You need to check the router is setup for DHCP , " to provide DHCP for network connections ".

You need to check you are connected using DHCP and automatic mode on both Macs .

Possibly if you used both macs on the same ip address this error could pop up ?

If Both macs are set using DHCP " not with manual ip addresses " , set to auto the router should provide a separate ip for each computer connected .

Can you check this ?

Open Apple menu system preference , network control panel .

Choose the Airport in the list .

Choose using DHCP

Click advanced ,

Set configure ip6 address to auto .

Choose proxies tab .

Select use passive FTP mode ticked on .

Close the advance panel .

The airport connection in the left panel should be green ,
i.e Green = connected to your router .

The DHCP ip address that is set automatically by the router for each mac should be different on each mac network control panel , check this .

The ip may read 10.0.1.2 & 10.0.1.3 etc .
i.e not 10.0.1.2 & 10.0.1.2

Close all control panels .

Do this on both macs .

Reset the router if need be.

Reboot both macs if need be to test.

You may have had more than one problem there , possible ip conflict ,
i.e if both macs setup to use same ip address it would cause problems..

Thanks .