Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Network Engineer - Xerox, Network Engineer - Daly Computers
14124282

black cartilage installation problem it will not click in

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Robert Preston replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Hello

What is the brand and model of the printer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hp4280
Replacing print cartridges
Follow these steps to replace print cartridges.
Step one: Replace the old print cartridge
  1. Turn the product on.
  2. Make sure to have letter or A4 unused plain white paper loaded in the input tray.
  3. Open the print cartridge door.
  4. NOTE: Make sure the print carriage moves to the right. If it does not move to the right, turn the product off and turn it back on again.
    Figure 1: Opening the print cartridge door
    CAUTION: If the product is off when the print cartridge door is opened for access to the print cartridges, the product will not release the cartridges for changing. The product can be damaged if the print cartridges are not docked safely before removal.
  5. Wait until the print carriage is idle and silent, and then lightly press down on a print cartridge to release it.
    • When replacing the tri-color print cartridge, remove the print cartridge from the slot on the left.
    • When replacing the black or photo print cartridge, remove the print cartridge from the slot on the right.
    Figure 2: Pressing down on a print cartridge to release it
    1 - Print cartridge slot for the tri-color print cartridge
    2 - Print cartridge slot for the black and photo print cartridges
  6. Pull the print cartridge toward you out of its slot.
  7. NOTE: When removing the black print cartridge in order to install the photo print cartridge, store the black print cartridge in the print cartridge protector or an airtight plastic container.
  8. Remove the new print cartridge from its packaging.
  9. Touch only the black plastic, and gently remove the plastic tape by using the pink pull tab.
  10. Figure 3: Removing the tape
    CAUTION: Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or reattach the tape.
  11. Hold the cartridge with the HP logo on top.
  12. Gently push the upper part of the print cartridge forward until it clicks into the socket.
  13. Figure 4: Pushing the cartridge in firmly
    CAUTION: When installing the print cartridge, do not rest your hand on top of the product for leverage. This might cause the carriage to lift out of position.
    Figure 5: Do not grasp the top of the product for leverage
    • When installing the tri-color ink cartridge, slide it into the left slot.
    • When installing a black, photo, or gray photo ink cartridge, slide it into the right slot.
    Figure 6: Tri-color cartridge in the left cartridge slot and black cartridge in the right cartridge slot
  14. Close the print cartridge door.
If a print cartridge(s) missing or not detected or carriage jam message appears, the carriage might have encountered an obstruction or is not moving correctly. Click here for instructions to clear the carriage jam (c00860153) (in English).
Step two: Align the new print cartridge
When a new cartridge is installed, the product aligns the cartridge. Align the cartridges at any other time by using the software installed with the product. Aligning the cartridges ensures high-quality output.
NOTE: If a cartridge is removed and reinserted, the product will not prompt for an alignment. The product memory retains the alignment values for that cartridge.
Follow these steps to align newly installed cartridges.
  1. When prompted, make sure that plain, white letter or A4 paper is loaded in the input tray, and then press the button next to OK . The alignment page prints.
  2. Lift the lid. Place the top of the alignment page face-down on the front, right corner of the scanner glass.
  3. Figure 7: Placing the alignment page
  4. Close the lid.
  5. Press the button next to OK .
  6. When the On button stops flashing, the alignment is complete and the page can be removed.