robgranholm
robgranholm, Mac Genius
Experience:  2 Years at Apple, Current IT Administrator and Small Business Owner. Loves to help.
35592706

I am in desperate need of your help!!! How do I rectify a

Customer Question

I am in desperate need of your help!!!
How do I rectify a 5.5.2 syntax error 20sm4610377pzk.7
Mail could not be sent
Account Name: gmail
Error-17099

I was trying to send to a distribution group of 135 people and this message came up.
Please help me asap!!!
Category: Mac
Expert:  robgranholm replied 6 years ago.
This error means there is defintely an error in one of the e-mail addresses. The syntax error refers to there being an address where the @ symbol is missing, or there is a . somewhere there shouldn't be. Give it a really close look, perhaps try printing it and you'll find it!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Robert and thanks for the advice however that isn't the issue. I've already printed all the emails and checked each one thoroughly as I thought the syntax error what exactly what you stated (i.e. an error with one of the emails). What I had to do in the end was send out 135 individual emails to see which email had the problem. I rec'd notification that 9 emails failed to be delivered. When looking closely at them I could not find any faults. They each had a name and the @ sign followed by '.' So I'm still at a loss to know what went wrong when I tried to send to the Group, rather than individually.

Any other ideas?
Well, there could have been a stray . not within any of the e-mails or a strange character outside of the group of e-mails that were good. The error you presented is exacly defined as something in the TO box that isn't accepted. the only two possibilities are that your internet service provider does not allow you to send an e-mail to that many people or it's in the address list...so all the e-mails could have been correct but something was hiding in there somewhere as a bad character. Next time try cutting and pasting portions of the e-mail addresses to another e-mail, send 10 at a time or something until you find the group that is the problem to narrow down what the heck happened or contact your provider to see how many e-mails you can send to at once. Sorry for the frustration, I've had those issues before!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Robert and thank you for your advise however after reading your advice and applying it, it still hasn't solved my problem. Sorry, but thank you for trying.
Okay, well I am going to politely disagree. I gave you the full reasonings as to why that happened. I even checked up on Google, you are not allowed to send over 100 reciepients at a time. http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=22839 ... I'm sorry you're not satisfied with the answer, that's totally your call, but that is why it happened.