iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing

Hi, After trying to download photos to facebook, done it many

After trying to download photos to facebook, done it many times before. My iPhoto program is not working properly. the side bar that you click and drag vertically along the right hand side has vanished all together and I'm at a loss to what I should do. Might you have a suggestion? As I'm sure you can tell by my language I'm not very tech savy! Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Hi , I would like to asssit you with this issue .

iPhoto includes a feature that allows you to rebuild the currently selected iPhoto library.

Sometimes rebuilding the library may resolve issues such as the library appearing to be unreadable, missing photos, or other issues related to reading the iPhoto library structure.

Note: This article is for iPhoto versions 6 and later.

Important: You should back up your existing iPhoto Library folder before using the rebuild feature. A backup allows you to restore the iPhoto Library if anything unexpected happens during the rebuild that prevents the library from rebuilding correctly.

Before performing a rebuild, you should install any iPhoto updates by using Software Update.

If a software update resolves your issue, then you don't need to rebuild.

To rebuild the iPhoto library:

1. Quit iPhoto if it is open.
  2. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
  3. Open iPhoto.
  4. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
  5. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select the options you want to use.
  6. Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a few minutes to complete.
graphic

This may fix the issue if not please read on .

Also you can try :
  • Remove the iPhoto plist.
    1. Quit iPhoto.
    2. Open the Finder and choose Home from the Go menu.
    3. Open the Library folder and then open the Preferences folder.
    4. Locate the file called "com.apple.iPhoto.plist" and drag it to the desktop. This will reset the iPhoto preferences to the default settings.
      Important: This will reset your preferences in iPhoto. If your iPhoto library is located on a separate partition or hard disk, you will need to point iPhoto to the library location when you reopen iPhoto; to direct iPhoto to your library, hold down the Option key when opening iPhoto.
    5. Reopen iPhoto.
-

Do you have any other issues? if so i will run you through a Disk HD check/s and repairs to make sure this issue is not disk related .

Thanks.
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience: Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks for your help so far. I really appreciate it.

I took your advice, went to burn my iphoto library to disc. And, whoops! the disc player won't work. It spins about a bit then spits the disc out with no reason. So I tried another disc, nope. I tried playing a dvd to no avail. It seems the computer isn't reading the disc at all. It's getting really frustrating around here! Are these two issues related?

Can you help?
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Uhmm , possibly .

Lets run a full test on the Mac HD to make sure thats good , and also try using a second new user account .

We can test the DVD drive by trying to boot from it to run repairs as below ..

Lets run though some basic repair checks .

Repair Mac HD , Check Permissions with the OSX Startup volume.

To check for disk errors and possibly fix issues with the Mac HD volume and other Partitions .

Please run a Mac HD drive repair ,
and Repair Permissions of the Mac HD startup volume .

Disk Utility

1 Start from your Mac OS X Install disc: Insert the installation disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2 When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu.
(In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)?

Important:- Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer.
If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3 Click the First Aid tab.

4 Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

5 Choose your Mac OS X volume.

6 Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

If errors are found please run the check twice .

Report any errors in displayed RED to me .

Tip:- Always start up your computer from an Install or Restore disc when using Disk Utility to verify or repair your startup volume.
**Perform Disk permission repairs while Booted to your Mac HD as normal**.

Using the Repair Privileges Utility

For Mac OS X 10.2 or later, open Disk Utility found in the Applications/Utilities folder.

Select your Mac OS X startup volume in the column on the left of the Disk Utility window, then click the First Aid tab.

Click the Repair Disk Permissions button.

Please wait while the Mac HD is checked.

Report any errors displayed in RED to me .

-

Permissions Defined
Mac OS X incorporates a subsystem based on a UNIX-style operating system that uses permissions in the file system.
Every file and folder on your hard disk has an associated set of permissions that determines who can read, write to, or execute it.

-

Next up system maintenance:

Please try using ONYX to repair clean and check all OSX caches , font caches and other maintenance scripts .
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html

About OnyX
A multifunction utility for Mac OS X.

It allows you to verify the Startup Disk and the structure of its System files, to run misc tasks of system maintenance, to configure the hidden parameters of the Finder, Dock and of some of Apple’s own applications, to delete caches, to remove a certain number of files and folders that may become cumbersome and more.

Extra tools:

We can use this tool below to cleanup the font caches including MS office font caches etc .

FontNuke
http://www.jamapi.com/pr/fn/

FontNuke is a utility application for Mac OS X Tiger / Leopard / Snow Leopard that removes corrupt / troublesome font cache files.

-

Also its best to get a full disk repair tool for future use :-

Drive genius may have prevent this problem as it seems your Mac HD had an error that needed to be fixed , Apple disk utilities is a basic application not intended for major disk error repairs or testing :-

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/drive_genius.php?PHPSESSID=d0291636841b25cf082e211e2d6def53

-

Also please download and install this handy maintenance widget for the Dashboard in OSX , and run the repair scripts one at a time , daily , weekly , monthly :-

http://www.bradflaugher.com/MaintenanceWidget.html

Now run some tests with your software and see if there's a difference ?

If there's still no difference with your issue? We can move on to testing the issue with a new user account to troubleshoot , or a full "archive and install" of the Mac OSX OS if needed , followed by a complete Combo update of the OSX OS .

Please provide all details of the remaining problem if any after the repairs are carried out to the Mac HD OSX installation , including what applications are affected .

Please let me know if you need any extra info regarding the above?

I will give full instructions to do so if necessary.

Did you manage to boot to the OSX install DVD as above ?

I hope this helps .

Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Gosh I should be paying you overtime!

I've been meaning to install Mac os X Snow Leopard. Might this be the opportune time to do so? Being a more advanced operating system.
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Hi , yes snow leapard is a good upgrade to many macs ,

If your mac is compatible , i.e has intel CPU .
About this mac to find out .

Do you have the install disk for snow leopard?

Please run repairs to the Mac HD from the install dvd as outlined before upgrading the OS to snow leopard .

Also please backup any data that is important installs can go wrong , if the install DVD is not clean or scratched , or the Mac HD has errors on it that need fixing in disk utilities or there is not any room on the Mac HD for the install . Please make at least 8 GB free to perform an update like this . To find out how much spare room is on the Mac HD , just open a finder winder for the Mac HD , the details are shown on the lower of the finder window . or use get info on the Mac HD icon from the desktop .

You will find Disk utilities in the menu bar options , once you are booted to the install DVD as posted before .

Thanks.