robgranholm, Mac Genius
Experience:  2 Years at Apple, Current IT Administrator and Small Business Owner. Loves to help.

I think I got my password changed but doesnt seem to like my acct name. It says you

Customer Question

I think I got my password XXXXX but doesn't seem to like my acct name. It says you must enter admin name & password. Which I have already done and it will not go any further. The lock is on , can't get it off with out the same admin name & password, which it won't take. The allow user to administer this computer box is ghosted. Help I am just in circles. I am on a different mac right now because it will not send my info thru says Safari can't open page because Safari can't secure connection to the server. That is what started my problem. Can't to to financial institutations or paybills, or mobile me.....
Category: Mac
Expert:  robgranholm replied 6 years ago.
You are talking about the admin username and password XXXXX your computer correct? At first I thought you meant a website or something...but you are talking about the computer username and password? Can you please clarify? If it's the computer username and password XXXXX can help you with that.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is my computer and password. When I try to change things it wants An ADMIN NAME AND PASSWORD again. WHEN I GIVE IT WHAT SHOULD BE IT DOESN'T AGREE.

Got it. The method for changing your ADMIN password XXXXX XXXXX use the original system disc, do you have the install disc that came with the system?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes i do
Great! Put it in the computer and restart holding down the "C" key. It will boot the computer from the disc. When it boots up, it's going to look like it wants to reinstall the operating system, we're not going to do this. Depending on what system you have you'll do what's below to reset your password.
  1. For OS X Pre-10.4, please navigate to the Installer menu and select the Reset Password XXXXX
  2. For Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) or higher, please navigate to the Utilities menu and select the Reset Password XXXXX
This will launch a Reset Password XXXXX This utility will prompt your to select disk/volume and user. Please answer the requests as follows:
  1. Select the OS X disk which contains a password XXXXX reset: Click to highlight the icon entitled Macintosh HD.
  2. Select a user of this volume to reset their password: From the pull-down menu, please select System Administrator (root).
  3. Enter the new password XXXXX this user: Please enter your new password.
  4. Reenter the new password XXXXX this user: Please reenter the password you entered in the previous step.
  5. Enter a new password XXXXX for this user (optional): If you so choose, please enter a password XXXXX that only you can decipher. You should not enter your password XXXXX
  6. Click Save. This will commit your changes and close the Reset Password XXXXX
  7. Restart your machine and eject the Mac OS X Install Disk.
That should be it!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what utilities are you talking about? <br />on the disk.. that goes to time machine which I haven't started<br />or computer utilities??<br /><br />Itried the disk one it immed wants a admin & pw<br /><br />by "C" do u mean the control key?
No you'll need to reboot the computer to see these Utilites options...Restart WHILE the disc is in the computer holding down the "C" key...meaning the letter C key. The letter between the X and V key.
How did it workout?