Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience

I need to have a different running head on my title page then

Customer Question

I need to have a different running head on my title page then on the rest of the paper- any idea how to do this? I can do the page break but that still doesn't allow me to have a different heading. 24 hours until paper is due!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and welcome to!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help.

What word processor are you using (Word, Pages, NeoOffice, etc.)?

Let me know and we'll get this sorted.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am using Word 2008.

I can get the page break between title page and rest of paper and then it shows 'header section 1' on title page. 'Header section 2 / same as previous' on second page. I need to get rid of 'same as previous' so I can have a different header. When I click on it to delete it nothing happens.

Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
You won't be able to have a different header on the first page, a header is specifically designed to be universal across the document. However, you can create a text box that covers the first page header.

To create a text box:

1. From the Insert menu, select Text Box.
2. Click and drag the cursor to create the location and size of the text box (you can change this after the fact).
3. Type in whatever you want titled on the page.
4. From the Color, Weights, and Fills section of the Formatting Palette, set the Fill color to White.

Then, make sure that the text box is large enough to cover the header at the top.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The new APA (6th ed) guidelines require different information on the title page then the rest of the paper, this is now standard in all college papers. There is a way to do this and I am half way there- just looking for a way to cancel "save as previous".

I'll give your suggestion a try and let you know if it works.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Please allow other experts to answer the question.
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
Happy to.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did the text Box but when I put in a different header on the second page it also enters in the text box. Seems like a different way to have the same problem.
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
I'd like to still offer a solution, but I understand if you don't want it.

The text box is a workaround. You'll enter the Header information on the first page, and it will appear on every subsequent page, but the text box will cover it up on the top of the first page.

If the text box copies down to the other pages, try dragging it back up, and you should be fine. I've done this on a number of documents with success.

If you're looking to have a different header for every page, let me know.