Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

error code 2 MEM/1/4 DIMMO/J4000 G5 mac

error code:
2 MEM/1/4: DIMMO/J4000
G5 mac
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
What that is telling you is that one of your memory or RAM cards is bad.
Looks like the first slot of four.
Does it make any strange beeps or sounds when you start it up?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi
Thanks
I'll have to get it changed
Not noticed any different noises
Porbably will have to get some more RAM
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Can you tell me when this error code appears?
That is what that error code looks like but without the context it's hard to tell, what are you doing when it appears?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
let me know where to click accept.
5 hours difference!
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Have you swap RAM and thus eliminated the error?
You haven't yet told me when this error appears so it is a lot more difficult for me to actually diagnose without that information.
I haven't actually giving you an answer yet therefore there is no accept button at this time. I can send this one is an answer but it really isn't.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi
It's a public holiday here, so I cannot get a spare RAM.
Thanks for your help as I was advised that it was my Hard Disc that need changing at a cost of @ $300 and therefore I should be able to get it repaired at a reasonable fee.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
That seems pricey for a hard drive replacement, Especially in a G5 tower.
You can get a large capacity hard drive for around $100 and you can install that yourself if you're handy with a screwdriver.
One way to certainly tell if it is the RAM is to take each memory stick out one at a time and see if the error code goes away.
Again it depends on the machine you're on some machines are much easier to do that on than others.
Please keep me posted.

Edited by Daniel on 5/3/2010 at 2:46 PM EST
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.