Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Hi, one of my keys came off my keyboard today and when my husband

Customer Question

Hi, one of my keys came off my keyboard today and when my husband fixed it the language on the keyboard had changed. He told me to unplug the keyboard and if that didn't work to restart. When I did this I realised I couldn't log into my account because I needed the keyboard to type in my password. Can you help please
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Do you have another keyboard around?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
If not and your mouse still works go to Macintosh HD/library/Preferences and trash the file com.apple.keyboardtype.plist, then restart.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I do have another keyboard and the mouse still works.
but the problem is that I restarted the computer and now I am stuck at the log in to my account page- and I can't type in my password
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Plug in the other keyboard and force a shut off by holding in the power button for about 10 seconds. Then start it up again.

Edited by Mike the MacMedic on 5/2/2010 at 4:15 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I have to go out for a meeting now and wont be back for 2 hours. I did try using another keyboard but no luck as yet. i will try again when I get back. Will you still be here to help?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
I’ll look for you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I'm back home now.
I have plugged another keyboard in and have managed to logg in- now what should I do?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Plug in the other keyboard and go to System Preferences/Keyboard and Change Keyboard type. Reset up your keyboard. If that doesn’t work to what I suggested above.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, nothing working so far.

I deleted file as instructed and keyboard still typing in weird charcters

any further advice?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Go to System Preferences/Language & Text/Input Sources scroll down and make sure US or US extended are checked and not any other langages.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi did as you requested and still not working
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi are you still there
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Well I don't know exactly what happened when the key came off but popping it back on would not make that happen. I would have to say if the other keyboard worked it is not the computer probably need a new keyboard.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. I will try and phone my brother tomorrow. I'm sure a setting has been changed. Thanks for trying to help.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok let me know