Jesse
Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience
27955634

I recently upgraded from an eMAC to an iMAC running snow leopard.

Customer Question

I recently upgraded from an eMAC to an iMAC running snow leopard. I cannot access my old iPhoto Library. It tells me to upgrade and when I start the wheel keeps spinning and it says iPhoto not responding. What is my problem?

Please email me [email protected] so I know you have responded. Thank you.

SAW
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help.

Which version of iPhoto were you running on the eMac? If you don't know, which version of Mac OS was the computer running?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't know and can't tell because iPhoto won't open on my iMAC. But I had OS 10.3 on my eMAC and now 10.6.3 on the iMac.

Sorry I can't give you a better answer.

SAW
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
Any idea how many photos you had in your iPhoto library?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, but quite a few or a lot!

Thanks!
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
First, while iPhoto is closed, try navigating to the User folder(Home folder)->Library->Preferences folder, and moving the com.apple.iphoto.plist file to your desktop. Then open iPhoto again, and see if the update goes through.

Second, open iPhoto while holding the Command+Option keys, and run all the options in that window.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did exactly what you told me and it starts and then the wheel spins continually. There were no options in the window, it just says quit or upgrade.
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
Have you check your Software Update from the Apple menu in the upper left corner to make sure you have the latest software?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, I've done all you recommended, restarted the MAC and tried opening iPhoto again with command/option and it starts and then the spinning wheel. When the wheel is spinning is anything happening; should I let it go for awhile and see what happens? Do you have any other suggestions? I appreciate your help.

SAW
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
If you had a large library, it may take awhile. How long have you been letting it sit?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sometimes for an hour or more but like I asked when the wheel is spinning on a MAC doesn't that mean it isn't doing anything?

SAW
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
Normally, yes. It means the computer is stuck in a loop, and probably won't come out of it.

Try downloading iPhoto Library Manager (get it here), and opening it. From the File menu, choose the Rebuild library option, and remember where you saved it. Once it's finished, open iPhoto while holding the Option key, and select the Choose Library option.

Navigate to the Rebuilt library you just created and try opening it.

If that doesn't work, as a last resort, go back into iPhoto Library Manager. From the File menu, select the Extract Photos option. That will pull all your raw photos out, so you can at least have them in the new version of iPhoto.

You'll lose some settings and organization, but you'll have your photos.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I found my photos, I did what you told me and I'm not sure how I got there but I can see the photos. Thank you for all of your help.

Sally Weiland
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
No problem, glad you got it sorted one way or the other.