Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

iMac 2.8 Ghz dual core, 2 Gb ram; When turned on only grey screen shows; Have

Customer Question

iMac 2.8 Ghz dual core, 2 Gb ram;
When turned on only grey screen shows;
Have tried several things I read but no success. What should I try?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
This article from AppleExplains how to reset the SMC or system management controller.
Scroll to the bottom where it says Resetting the System Management Controller, click on that and it would sell you exactly how to go about doing it, please follow the instructions very carefully.
Let me know please.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Scroll to the bottom of WHAT?
Am communicating with you on Linux system.
The Apple iMac only has a bright grey screen when turned on.
Where does one get access to the article from AppleExplains?
While waiting for your answer I will try Google on the Linux system and search for AppleExplains.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, that should be Apple explains, two words not one. My fault. And I seem to left out the URL.
Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
Try that, I think you will be a little more happy with it.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Worked.
After following procedure and turning on machine, it sat there for approximately a minute before anything happened. Then it started an install from the system disc (previously inserted to try getting machine going) however I halted that process; it then offered to start from OS version on hard drive or from OS version on CD. Opon selecting hard drive, it soon was going normally.
Thanks for you assistance.
Steve
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
One little oversight like forgetting the URL and I never hear the end of it. LOL.
By letting it boot from the DVD you could have gone to the utilities and run some repairs on the permissions and on the hard drive.
That is something that I do recommend you do. Just resetting the SMC got things going, sort of like a laxative (as a loose comparison, no pun intended).
This could help head off any issue that was causing this to happen in the first place.
I am glad that it's working and I hope it continues. Thank you very much.