Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I have an iMac with OS X 10.5.8 and my HP Photosmart C4280

Customer Question

I have an iMac with OS X 10.5.8 and my HP Photosmart C4280 All in one will not print. It says that it is not connected, even though I have it connected via USB. I've tried uninstalling the driver and re-installing but found the same problem. The print que reads as "stopped" after hitting the print command.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

We can try to reset the printer settings into default settings...

1. Goto System Preferences from the Apple menu or from the Dock.
  2. Open Print & Fax ( you can also open Print & Fax from the View menu)
  3. Control-click (Right click) on list of printers on the left side of the window, then choose "Reset printing system" from the contextual menu.graphic

Best Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
After I reset the printing system the printer did not show in the window on the left. When I tried to add the printer back nothing happened after I hit add and the printer would not show up. I got the printer to show up again by unplugging the USB and plugging it in again, but it still will not print.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Does it still shows the"stopped" message ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. Because when I try to print (from Word for Mac) it says that no printer is selected. When I try to add a printer it doesn't do anything when I select the HP 4200 Series and hit add. So not the print button is grayed out. It doesn't want to add the printer for some reason. Do I have the wrong driver? It say HP 4200 Series but my printer is a HP 4280.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Disconnect and reconnect your Printer to another USB Port. Then download and install the latest drivers from here. Restart your Mac and try to add the printer.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I downloaded the driver you linked me too and restarted. Install seemed to work fine, but I'm back to the original problem. I open Word for Mac, go to print, nothing happens ,and when I check the status it says stopped. I've tried printing from other programs as well and have the same problem.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
We can try a partial hardware reset (printer).

1. Unplug the power cord fro, the all-in-one.
  2. Press and hold # (if you don't have # XXXXX press + instead of it) and 3 while plugging in the power cord.
  3. Press and hold the button combination for your all-in-one.
  4. While still holding the buttons down, plug the power cord back in. Release the buttons after the all-in-one starts up.
  5. Now try to add the printer...

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not have a # XXXXX + key on the printer. Just so you know, the printer is showing up now under system preferences and Word. So adding the printer is no longer a problem. The problem remains, that when I hit print nothing happens and the status shows as stopped.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
There is a chance that the problem is related to your current user account..So we can try to create new account and see if that helps.

Create new user Account
  • Click on the Apple menu and choose System Preferences, and click Accounts.
  • If some settings are dimmed, click the lock icon and type your administrator name and password.
  • Click the Add (+) button, located below the list of accounts, to create a new account.
  • Select a type of account from the New Account pop-up menu.
  • Now you can see some types of accounts in there; Administrator,Standard,Managed with Parental Controls, Sharing Only etc
  • Choose Administrator from it.
  • Enter a name for the account
  • Type the user’s password XXXXX the Password and Verify fields.
  • Click Create Account.
  • Now logout from Apple menu and login to the new account.
  • Try to print..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Created a new account, logged into it and still had the same problem. Now I'm back to the original account.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Sounds like the problem is not with your Mac, but its with the printer. You may need to take it to the store to fix it. I'm sorry i couldn't help you...

(only click accept if you are satisfied with my answer)

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: The question is not answered. Please review my original question and see if someone has any better solutions..
The question is not answered. Please review my original question and see if someone has any better solutions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
The problem that caused me to ask the question is not solved. Therefore I would like to speak to someone else who may have better insight.