Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

when i hit the volume buttons the levels arent moving, and

Customer Question

when i hit the volume buttons the levels aren't moving, and it's not on mute, but it's not turning up or down. how can i fix it if when the volume meeter pops up, there is a little circle with a cross through it signal?
Category: Mac
Expert:  inHomeMAC.com replied 4 years ago.
what were you/computer doing before this problems started happening?

Steps to try (we'll start with the easy ones first)
1. Open the system preferences and go to sound. Click the output tab and then make sure internal speakers is selected.

Try that and let me know. If not we'll move on the Plan B.
Matthew Moglia
inHomeMAC[dot]com
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Already did that, and thought I said it, sorry. When I go to sound in system preferences internal speakers is selected but I can't move the slider that goes with it.
ok. plan b:

Open "Audio MIDI Setup" (it's in your /Applications/Utilities/ folder) and make sure "Built-in Output" is selected there for your default and system outputs.

Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No luck. I just checked and double checked, both the audio midi setup, and the sound output to make sure everything was built-in output, and there is still no sound.
ok, plan c. We'll replace the preference files.

- navigate to ~/library/preferences/ ("~" means your home folder)
- move these items to the desktop:
com.apple.soundpref.plist
com.apple.systempreferences.plist
com.apple.systemsound.plist

- Restart the computer
- Check the sound settings in system preferences.