loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.

Wife has forgotten the admin password and we can not install

Wife has forgotten the admin password XXXXX we can not install new software. We read that you could reset the password XXXXX you had the os disk, but she can not find that either. Any suggestions
Category: Mac
Expert:  loadedmind replied 3 years ago.
You need to enter terminal and create a new admin account:

1. Reboot
2. Hold apple key + s key down after you hear the chime. (command + s on newer Macs)
3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one.

If the information I've provided meets with your approval and resolves your issue, please let me know and you can Accept the answer (and if possible, leave positive feedback). If not, please DO NOT Accept the answer. Instead, let me know what happened and we'll try some more things or I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further.

Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where is the apple key?
It's also the command button. Should be directly to the right and left of your spacebar.

Regards,
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
John, you are bad to the bone, give me a few minutes, I think I am almost there
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
John, thank you very much, I am very satisfied but now my keyboard is blinking; what is up with that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
John, thank you very much, I am very satisfied but now my keyboard is blinking; what is up with that? Got it John thank you! Well done!
The Mac may require another reboot to properly enumerate the keyboard.

Glad to hear you're rockin' now.

Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you John, I appreciate your help.
My pleasure. I'll go ahead and close the question. Please don't hesitate to ask me for help if you need it again.

Best of luck,