Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I have a mac book running OS X Version 10.5.8 I set up four

Customer Question

I have a mac book running OS X Version 10.5.8
I set up four accounts, one for me, one for my wife, and one for each of my children.
I have parental controls set up for my children.
The Mail program does not work exactly right for my kids as it does for me and my wife.
1) When I click on the "Get Mail" icon there is a little spinning circle next to my Inbox indicating that Mail is checking for new messages. This spinning circle does not show up for my kids Mail program, so often we wonder if Mail is actually checking for new mail or not.
2) For my daughter's account, a message that was sent on February 8 at 10:45 am keeps showing up as a new mail message in her Inbox. We keep deleting it, but it keeps coming back. This is the only message that behaves like this. We all have Gmail accounts that Mail accesses. I checked her Gmail account and that Feb 8 email is not there. I also reset the POP account at Gmail to only forward messages that arrive today or later. The problem reamains
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
The short answer and one you may have looked at already is to check the setup for the e-mail accounts and compare them between yours and theirs.
That is where I would suspect and the first place to look.
The next thing I would recommend is repairing the permissions, this is done with Disk Utility found in Applications/Utilities, it looks like this.
With four separate accounts things can get out of whack.
The reason for this is below.

Think of your computer as a set of file cabinets in an office with a private file cabinet for each employee, call them Chris and Sue.

Each employee's cabinet is locked, unless they grant specific access to drawers inside the cabinet. Each persons private cabinet has a public outbox where anyone can see what is inside but can not put any thing in, a public inbox where anyone can put files, and an open 'shared' place where files that can be used by all.

There are three categories of users for each cabinet:

1- The owner.

2- Group members and guests who have access to one or more drawers inside the cabinet.

3- Others who have access to the in and out boxes but no access to the owners drawers.

You use these categories to define Read and Write, Read only, or no access.

Repairing permissions makes sure that the correct people and applications have the correct access to the cabinets.

If these get changed (software updates do do this) or corrupted then things go where they are not supposed to and it can mean applications won't launch or run or not preform correctly.

This is especially true with system updates because if the update info goes to the wrong place it can lead to a total system crash.

This holds true even if you are the only user.

Try that and let me know please.