Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm

Yesterday I composed and successfully sent a mac mail message

Yesterday I composed and successfully sent a mac mail message with attachments (.jpegs). I wanted to copy this message to another recipient - and change one attachment. I opened up the email, selected the unwanted attachment, and hit 'DELETE.' The ENTIRE MESSAGE VANISHED!

MY SYSTEM
___________________________________________
Model: iMac8,1, BootROM IM81.00C1.B00, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.06 GHz, 4 GB, SMC 1.30f1
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS, PCIe, 512 MB
Mac OS 10.6.3 Snow Leopard
____________________________________________
I have already checked Trash bin - not there. Also I have tried to find and import the 'vanished' message from my User/Library/Mail folder. Nothing doing. The darn thing seems to be utterly, totally GONE!

Any ideas where the lost message might be hiding? I have successfully 'deleted' .jpeg files from email before and this never happened.

TX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

I don't know how successful we will be in recovering the message but I am certainly willing to give it a shot.

Who do you have your email thorough? Gmail? MobileMe?

Let me know.

Best Regards,
Brandon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mail server is : Shaw.ca (hi-speed cable; IMAP)
NB: Shaw allows access to server via https://webmail.shaw.ca/uwc/auth. (Behind private login) this shows the "backend" of my email. The "vanished" message does not show up here, either! Go figure!
Ah, I was going to have you check your webmail but it seems you already did that.

If it's not there either, you can try calling Shaw and see if they have a backup of that particular email. I know that certain providers keep backups (even deleted emails) for legal purposes.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
Brandon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hellp BeBoo:

I called Shaw and they said, Sorry, nope. We don't have the message.
Shaw said that they would have the backup if I had signed-up for their special ShawSecure package. But I didn't sign up for that service, so I guess it's tough luck for moi!
They say message _HAS TO BE_ on my machine somewhere. Well, I've already checked all the likely spots I know of, and did a Spotlight search on keywords in the message. Nada.

Sorry to take so long getting back to you - that's my usual speed : S.L.O.W.

No worries. If it was deleted, it would've been removed from the computer at the same time it was removed from the server. If you have Time Machine enabled (backups), you might be able to recover it from there but not many users have Time Machine enabled. I think you might be out of luck at this point.

Sorry.

Best Regards,
Brandon
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm