Jesse
Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience
27955634

I have had itunes for sometime now. My computer crashed about

I have had itunes for sometime now. My computer crashed about a year ago and I had to open another account or at least thats what I did. Now when I try to download tunes that I purchased, (3,500) in all. It tells me that since this is another account that it can erase and sync. Which I take that it would erase all the (3,500) songs I have on my ipod. Or it says I can Transfer Purchases, it that saying that I would transfer my purchases on my ipod to itunes, then I would transfer all (another 40 songs) back to my ipod, where I would have all (3,540) tunes. My son told me that he had heard of some people that lost all their tunes by trying to put the tunes from the ipod back on itunes. Please let me know - Sincerely, XXXXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help.

The Transfer Purchases option only applies to music purchased in the iTunes store. Any other media that was imported either from CD's or another source, can't be directly imported into iTunes. Unless you're sure that all your music was purchased in the iTunes store, don't use that option.

You can use a program like SharePod (get it here) to transfer anything from your iPod, into iTunes without fear of losing it. So make sure that you use that program before using the Transfer Purchases option if you have media not from the iTunes Store.

Let me know if that doesn't solve the problem, or if there's anything else I can assist you with.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Jesse,

I think I need to explain my problem a little more. I transferred about 3,000 songs from albums I've had since 1971. Then I bought about 100 songs from Itunes. All songs have been able to transfer to my ipod. But a year ago, my computer crashed. I was upset because I lost my music on itunes library. I would like to take the songs on my ipod and put them back on my itunes so I can listen to them on my computer upstairs in my art room. But my son and I have tried to transfer them back from the ipod to itunes and my son told me that he was afraid that I might loose all the songs if I were to do that.

The other problem I have is that when my computer crashed my daughter told me to start using gmail instead of outlook and she set up a gmail address which I had to make a new address for itunes. I guess I wasn't thinking that made me have (two) accounts.
So yesterday when I tried to send about 50 songs on this new computer they didn't transfer to my ipod, itunes stated by since I had two accounts, I could erase and then sync or I could transfer purchases. Either of these statements made me think that it might not be safe, I don't want to loose the 3,100 songs from 1971 - 2010 on my ipod. Is there a solution? Also, I have a Dell with microsoft - not a Mac.

Thank you,

Marcia
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
The program I mentioned (Senuti), bypasses iTunes, and allows you to import songs you otherwise would not be able to. Use that, and you can put all your music, regardless of what name you purchased it under, or if it came from CD's, into iTunes on the computer.

iTunes doesn't normally allow this, which is why someone made this program.