Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm

I upgraded my Power Mac G5 quad to version 10.5.8 and have

I upgraded my Power Mac G5 quad to version 10.5.8 and have lost the connection to my Epsson 2400 printer. Any help will be appreciated.

Bill Rogers [email protected]
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Power Mac G5 Quad
Model Identifier: PowerMac11,2
Processor Name: PowerPC G5 (1.1)
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 4
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 4.5 GB
Bus Speed: 1.25 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.7f1
Serial Number (system): G8546170R6W
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-00145164226B
Hi there,

Let's try resetting the printing system and re-adding the printer.

1. Go to the Apple menu and choose System Preferences
  2. Select Print & Fax.
  3. Right-click (or hold down control and click) the area where the printer is listed and choose Reset Printing System.
  4. Confirm you wish to reset.
  5. Click the + button below the list and the printer should appear in a new window. Add it and then try printing something.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When I pushed the + button, here is what I got: "Unable to locate a manufacturer-supplied driver. Use Software Update to download a driver if one is available."

I tried Software Update and got only one Mac update that I did not want. I did not get a message about an Epson software update and do not know how to find one.

So far so good. Hope you can continue to help.

Thanks for that info. You can get drivers from Epson's site directly, instead of Software Update. Visit the following page and download the first item. Make sure you install it after you download it.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had to uninstall then install to get the printer to work. It prints and I thank you. Still need to talk with an Epson technical person because some of the names of paper do not match the papers I have.

Thanks for your help. I accept your answers and would like to give you $25 for your services.