Jesse
Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience
27955634

My iMac7,1 running on OS 10.6.3 keeps freezing, sometimes screen

Customer Question

My iMac7,1 running on OS 10.6.3 keeps freezing, sometimes screen goes dark blue as well. Please advise options for troubleshooting
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help.

Does it seem to happen when you're running any particular applications?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Seems to freeze whenever, using iPhoto, Safari, Time Machine. Some times the screen goes dark blue. Most times screen freezes except for mouse pointer. Been going on shortly after last os upgrade.
The machine was left at an Apple Store for several days where they performed diagnostic tests on the hardware and said it tested just fine.
I have erased and reinstalled os 10.6 from the installation dvd and had all updates installed, twice.
Tried new user - no luck. System freezes when using a mouse, selecting, scrolling. Froze during a test at Apple's genius bar using their mouse and cables. Only use a USB mouse and keyboard. Have disconnected the backup hard drive - freezes. Started up and operated as new without transferring files from backup hard drive - no luck.
Only time it does not freeze yet is using after safe boot, but a lot of features are not available. Latest effort am using migration assistant to bring back files and app's after safe boot.
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
It's very possible that your hard drive is going bad. It passes testing, but is on the way out. Bad sectors on the drive, would explain why it's happening infrequently, and during random activities.

As the hard drive disk spins over time, portions of it can become corrupted, and when they are accessed, will cause the computer to freeze or act up.

When the screen goes dark blue, does a message appear, or is it a solid color, and the computer becomes unusable?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There are no messages. When the screen goes dark blue it is a solid color - the entire screen and the computer is completely non responsive. If it is a possible hard disk problem, why would it not freeze when operating in safe mode?
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
It's possible that whatever part of the hard drive is corrupted, isn't accessed while in Safe Mode.

There could be a bad file somewhere, but it's doubtful that's the problem. You could try performing an Erase and Install, and manually transferring all your information back (e.g. applications, media, documents). It would be time consuming, and wouldn't solve the problem if it's hardware related.