Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

HELP! My Macbook Air has been the best addition to my office

Customer Question

HELP! My Macbook Air has been the best addition to my office until 3 days ago. I have had my Mac since August 2008. I am no computer whiz but do the updates regularly. My Mac has slowed to a ridiculous speed. The internet is nearly impossible to use. In fact I have gone back to using my 9 year old ThinkPad. HELP! How do I get my Mac back to its old speedy performance? BTW, I do not use iTunes, download videos, visit UTube. My Mac is strictly my business computer but I need internet access that is quicker than a snail.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

Your system are probably corrupted. Follow the steps below to speed up your Mac or to rebuild your system files.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM (Solution 1)
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode
(Solution 2)
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Run Disk Utility from the Installation Disk (Solution 3)

• Insert the Mac OS X Install/restore disc that came with your Mac. Turn your Mac off and turn it back on while holding the C key.
• When you see the Spinning gear, then release the C key
• Once on the Installer screen, select Utilities menu and choose Disk Utility.
• Click the First Aid tab and select the hard drive icon displaying your Macintosh HD (or your Hard disk's name)
• Click Repair disk and Repair Permission. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
• Once completed, quit Disk Utility
• Click on Apple menu and select Reboot

If all the above didn't worked, then you have to Re-Install your Mac OS. You can do a Archive and Install. Archive and Install will not remove any of your files,applications, settings etc. It just replaces the system core files with new one. (Final Solution)

Archive and Install : Read More

(If you are using Snow Leopard, then there is no Archive and Install . Just insert the disks are follow the on screen instructions to reinstall OS X. You won't lose any of your files)

Best Regards,
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am still working on it. It is taking almost 15 minutes for my computer to boot up. So far, Solution 1 and 2 have not worked in making my MacAir more speedy. Once I get through solutions 3 and 4, I will let you know how I fared. Alyson
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Still not having any luck with the suggestions you made.

Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Hi Alyson,
Have you tried Archive and Install ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just got my Mac back from the Apple store. Unfortunately, the hard drive died. Thanks for your time.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Sorry to hear that !!

Best Regards,